• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Heat Sheild

TaffyTim

At low revs ive been getting a rattle from the heat shield.

I went under the car today and the shields front had rusted through and was not connected to the bolt. With playing with it to try and dampen the rattle i have broken the back support off so the shield is no longer securely attatched to the car.

It now rattles like mad at low revs so Im thinking of removing it until i get a replacement. Ive read that some people constantly drive without them so im not too worried about an exploding fuel tank, although I will replace it asap.

When removing it and then replacing the new one will i need to remove any section of the exhaust system or will i be able to work arround it?

How much do new ones cost? Can i purchase from GFS?

hengti

there are several sections of heat shield underneath - i guess you're describing a problem with the big section that runs up to the rear beam as that's the only one that's close to the tank (?)

i can't remember how it's bolted on - are there 'captive' bolts on the underside that the shield goes over, with nuts and washers holding it up to the bolts? if so, you might just be able to fix something up using bigger washers to clamp whatever is left of the shield (?)

i've done away with some of the shielding on mine, but would've thought it'd be sensible to keep the section adjacent to the tank

highly unlikely it's the kind of thing ECP/GSF would stock (Autofive maybe?). otherwise scrap yard part is probably best idea. dread to think how much Pug would want ..

ed. should be possible to replace without removing exhaust, but depends upon bore of exhaust pipe and how close it is to the floor on your car

Edited by hengti

jim21070

If it is the one by the tank then it is essential. It comes off by undoing the two nuts at the front (Forward Beam strap anchors) and one nut by the beam. This hole is slotted. There is no need to remove the exhaust to remove.

The nuts are likely to be well corroded so soak them in PlusGas or a few hours and wire-brush them.

I repaired mine by pop-rivetting ally plates over the holes and redrilling the mounting holes and slots.

If it is really bad, it is quite possible to fabricate a replacement from thin ally sheet using what remains as a pattern.

Don't run without one. Remember the tank is plastic and the exhaust runs hot, even back there.

Plastic+heat+petrol=BOOM!

TaffyTim
If it is the one by the tank then it is essential. It comes off by undoing the two nuts at the front (Forward Beam strap anchors) and one nut by the beam. This hole is slotted. There is no need to remove the exhaust to remove.

Thats the one.

I'll have a go at the big washers idea if i can get the bolts out, if i cant then I'll leave it ratteling until new one is found.

Think i'll put a post in the wanted section, so if anyone has one please pm me.

Sign in to follow this