• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt205xs

Rev Counter Fuse Keeps Blowing

matt205xs

I have re wired my rev counter and now the fuse keeps blowing,

why?

:)

Edp

There must be a short on the circuit for it to blow the fuse. Are you sure you wired it up correctly and routed the cables so they arent caught on anything sharp?

matt205xs

the only place were i think it could be is were i put a solderless jointer to join the wire?

pug_ham

How have you wired it up?

Using the method I described in the topic you have to move the wires at the back of the clocks in rev counter plug, otherwise it blows the fuse for an ecu fed rpm signal but if its an Mi loom it should wire straight into the dash plug with no changes.

Is your rev counter working or just blowing the fuse as soon as you start the engine?

Graham.

cybernck

i'm getting this too recently, but it doesn't blow up immediately, but just randomly, after some time.

Guest ashnicholls

Where have you got the fuse on your setup?

As I have not got a fuse, just got pos and neg suply, and then wire going from coil to rev counter.

matt205xs

Graham- The brown plug had the rev counter wire going in but not coming out ;)

so i cut the 112 wire going in then joined it to a new peice of wire and ran it thru the cener console then out the bulk head behind the fuse box,

Ther is no ECU on the car, and it the rev counter was working when the car was off the road (standing) but when i moved it from previous place to home, is when it ble the first time, so i replaced the fuse yesterday, turned on ignition and more or less blew straight away,

Ash im using the no 1 fuse in the fuse board,

thanks

petert

The tacho and the reverse lights are on the same fuse from memory. It could be the later.

Guest ashnicholls

which wire needs to be fused?

as like i said I just found a pos and neg, from the steering column, and wire from coil.

Can I just put an inline fuse in?

Cheers Ash

matt205xs

the rev counter wire is 112 going into a brown multi plug under the dash,

the fuse is no 1 in the fuse board

pug_ham

AFAIK wire 112 isn't the fused wire but the other power supply to the rev counter, its just a signal wire.

One thing I remember setting up on a friends car is that it blew the fuse for the rev counter was when a phase2 car had a phase1/1.5 expansion tank after a tweak to the wires, due to the difference in the low coolant sensor wiring I set it to blow the rev counter fuse as indication the water was low.

Graham.

matt205xs

the coolant level is full,

im not to sure i the correct expansion tank is in there, its the clear one on a H plate? is this right?

pug_ham
im not to sure i the correct expansion tank is in there, its the clear one on a H plate? is this right?
It can be either, is your phase 1 or phase 2?

You have to swap wires around in the plug iirc thoguh as this is how I wired it up on their car which is a H plate & should have a black expansion tank instead of the white.

How many wires are there in the expansion tank plug? Two & it should have the white tank, three & it should be a black one.

The brown plug had the rev counter wire going in but not coming out

Which brown plug & going out to where? Maybe you have connected it incorrectly at this point.

Graham.

matt205xs

The expansion tank has 2 wires out of it,

there are 2 brown plugs under dash, now being as i bought the car as a project (none running) i looked and wire 112 was going into the one brown connector (6 pin one i think) but didnt have a wire coming out of the bottom of it, so obviously last owner never ran a rev counter,

so i cut the wire 112 out of the brown plug then used a jointer and connected it to a new peice of wire straight to the rev counter,

now what was strange is that it worked whilst the car was left standing, would there be any chance its blowing at a certain ammount of revs?

im not sure im also starting to wonder if the connection were it was jointed is correct, would this cause it to blow?

pug_ham

The expansion tank is correct then imo, it should be white.

I'll look at the engine bay & ecu loom I have out of my 91 J reg car & see which the rev counter wire is in but I'm fairly sure it should be the six pin one so thast also right. What side of the plug had the wire in?

Was the car originally a GTi?

Graham.

matt205xs

yes it is an original GTI the wire was in the right hand side of the plug,

pug_ham

:D Sorry. :D

I mean't car or engine side of loom? The rev counter wire will come out when you remove the ecu & loom completely.

If you have a multimeter, pin from the wire on the loom that you have connected to (without the wire you fitted connected if possible) to the wire in the plug at the back of the clocks & see if you have a circuit. if you have & the wire at the plug is 112 then its something else imo.

Graham.

matt205xs

hmm not sure as the rev counter did work?

and the wire i joined had 112 on it,

Paul T

Check you don't have the wires which connect to the reverse light switch trapped between the gearbox and the block.

After a while the insulation breaks down and when you select reverse, the fuse blows.

Mine only did it when damp at first.

matt205xs

i dont get were you mean, sorry :)

pug_ham
i dont get were you mean, sorry :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I don't think the rev counter wire runs anywhere near the gearbox joint to get trapped.

Where have you made you connections in the loom? This is from fitting an Mi loom into a 205 isn't it?

Graham.

matt205xs

No its the 8V loom, no ECU, i joined the connection near the brown multi plug under the dash, then ran it behind the center console then out thru bulkhead by fuse box

matt205xs

Well finally sorted out the problem today,

Traced back the reverse switch wires and one was damaged, think this was causing it to earth on side of block?

anyways replaced it and now all working fine,

except the wrong lights are coming on,

i,e the clear lens is on the inside of each cluster, but its the outside on which is coming on,

is this due to previous owner replacing later covers?

pug_ham

Glad you've sorted it.

Has your car got phase 2 lights on now?

The reversing light on these is in the rear valance, it the reversing light is putting a lamp on in the lights then somethine is wrong, have the covers been changed but not the lights?

Graham.

matt205xs

thats what im im thinkin, as the outside bottom light is coming on on each light, if i remember correct my p1 reversing lights used to be on outside?

Sign in to follow this