• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edd-XS

Silicone Mi Afm To Tb Hose...

Edd-XS

I thought the standard Mi hose from the AFM to TB was slightly too long for how I wanted my induction set-up to sit, so after an idea at work, quick call to SFS and about 10 minutes modifying...

DSC01426.jpg

This pic will probably explain why ive done it!

DSC01424.jpg

Filter sits right behind the cold air feed now! Will sort out a plug to chuck in in bad weather. Still need to put the oil breather hose in (wont be difficult) and apparentely I can vent the ICV to air anyway but may hook that in also.

If anyones interested I can do a 'How Too' guide (hose cost me £15) or if enough people like the idea I can contact SFS and get some ready made ones made up. Shouldnt be too expensive?

Edd

Baz

Sweet! I'd be interested either way. I presume it's just a straight reducer ordered from SFS? No special jiggery-pokery involved?

Edd-XS

No its just a normal 90>70mm reducer but ive had to cut a chunk off both ends to get the afm sitting straight otherwise it pokes up in the air! Either customized or standard I can prob get a group discount and wouldnt imagine theres a limit at all, gave me discount on one so im sure if I ordered 5 or so they'd have a decent price? Wouldnt imagine they'd be fussed on colour either (blue black red yellow purple and green are available as far as i know).

Edd

tom_m
Still need to put the oil breather hose in (wont be difficult) and apparentely I can vent the ICV to air anyway but may hook that in also.

actually edd you want to do that the other way round, you can vent the breather to air (or a catch tank) but teh ICV takes metered air past the throttle body. it you vent to aatmos it will be unmetered and it might not idle right.

are you friends with SFS then or are they just free with their discounts? I'm gonna need a few boost pipes in the not to distant future. :)

Edited by tom_m

Edd-XS

Well Halfords have just set-up an account with them, but not many of the other stores know about it so were dealing with them a fair bit. Mates ordered a few parts for his R5 GTT and theyre generally a really decent helpful bunch of guys down there!

Unfortunately they dont really cover any french cars yet, mostly Jap cars and Fords and stuff but they can custom make pipes to any spec and pretty much an design with a supposedly quick turn around, hence giving them a pre modded pipe and getting them to bang out some replicas :)) If your after boost pipes let me know but if your after something specific post it to me and Ill send it to them and get them to re-make it :)

Edd

sonofsam

'love it when a plan come's together. Looking tidy Edd. :)

maxi

Edd, you WILL need to put one union in that pipe for the ICV to see the sir before the TB or the car wont idle.

Maxi

KRISKARRERA

Yeah how do u go about fitting a breather and/or pipe for iscv?

maxi
Yeah how do u go about fitting a breather and/or pipe for iscv?

Breather will be fine going to air, if anything it will be better as the oil fumes do kill the octane level in fuel..... Its the ICV that is the problem and must see the air between AFM and TB or it will not idle.

Maxi

KRISKARRERA

But how exactly do you go about plumbing the iscv pipe into that bigger pipe?

Edd-XS

...by ripping the union off of the old afm hose (done) and punching it through into the new one ;)

Jobs a good-un!

Only reason I hadnt done it yet was cos wasnt sure which one needed to be fitted. Thought it'd be ICV tho as its usually ok to vent breathers to air.

Will add a completed pic to this thread when its done.

Edd

maxi

Make sure it makes a air tight seal edd. If its like throwing a sausage up the M1 the car WONT idle or run properly as you are introducing un metered air/vacumn leak.

Maxi

sonofsam

Looking at the size of that reducer, you may be able to get a metal hose take off, siliconed in place from inside:)

Bonzai

i made a t/b to afm hose like that fro my 8v, for the breather and SAD offtakes i used some pipe i had in the shed, 20mm internal diameter iirc, i think it was part of a shower rail at some point in its life. Seales them in from both sides with RTV/silicon sealant. Saves bastardising your original pipe anyway :)

sexysamco.jpg

sonofsam

Or you could get it re-made @ SFS :)

James_R
Or you could get it re-made @ SFS :)

If it comes out as cheap as buying the plain reducer and the cost of some old shower rail why not? But worked fine on bens car for a few years now, can't see the point in spending money needlessly, can use it for beer much moe effectively :P

sonofsam

Edd has a few mates there :) Then they have the Template.. you know what im saying = more beers :P

Edd-XS

Cheers for the info maxi :) yea ill cut the hole too small and proper wedge it in there so will be nice and tight, no leaks on that bad boy! Just wondering, would having a more direct intake to the throttle body make much of a difference in a good or bad way? We all know lengthening the intake on carbs/bodies drastically alters performance, so would it make any difference on a single TB set-up?

Edd

ablister
Cheers for the info maxi :) yea ill cut the hole too small and proper wedge it in there so will be nice and tight, no leaks on that bad boy! Just wondering, would having a more direct intake to the throttle body make much of a difference in a good or bad way? We all know lengthening the intake on carbs/bodies drastically alters performance, so would it make any difference on a single TB set-up?

Edd

It has nothing to do with it, the inlet tract remains the same...

Edd-XS

ahh thats alrite then :)) was worried it might be too close! Cheers dude

Edd

Sign in to follow this