• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Valve Clearances Out - What Are The Consequences?

GLPoomobile

What are the consequences of driving about with your valve clearances outside the Haynes quoted tolerance? I know you can either suffer a lot of tappety noise, or end up with burnt valves.

If you get burnt valves, how long does the process take for them to end up like this and what is the consequences on the engine?

pug309twin40s

loads of tappet noise,

lose of power.

can knacker the camshaft up.

GLPoomobile

So if I drive around for say 2000 miles with my valve clearances slightly outside the tolerance stated in Haynes, am I going to severly knacker my valves?

Faz85

I dont think the damage would be all that severe. but i suppose it depends on whether the tolerance is too big or too small. i would rather have more clearance than less, since your valves wont seat properly causing them to overheat. this would cause hot spots in your cylinders making you more susceptible to knock / pinking, not to mention a loss of power.

If yours is just a bit tappety, i wouldnt see any problem with driving around on them for a while. if the clearance is too small though, i would be more inclined to get it sorted sooner.

Faraz

Sign in to follow this