• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ashnicholls

People With Webers!

Guest ashnicholls

How much water do you all get in your oil catch tanks, I am getting quite alot???????

And how much do you cars hunt, with the Webers.

Mine varies alot, and goes from barely idling (stalling) to 1,300 revs.

Does everyone elses vary that much?

Cheers

tri_longer
How much water do you all get in your oil catch tanks, I am getting quite alot???????

Cheers

Before I crashed the car B) (another story alltogether) we had recently had twin 45's fitted.

Had no problems with the idle at all and that was before we had it rolling road tuned at Aldon Automotive in West Mids, certainly smoother now but no great difference. Don't suffer with any hunting problems like yours.

In terms of catch tank, there was a small amount of oil and condensation water but only a minimal amount.

Can't say what is causing yours, but have no issues with ours.

Guest ashnicholls

Im gettin worried, I have leaky liners, as I recently rebuilt the engine

or my head gasket has gone.

Which would suggest more water in my catch tank, but my oil would go creamy if that was the case wouldn't it?

But it is not creamy at all.

Cheers Ash

Dazza

Cheers

Ash, i dont get any water in my oil ! catch tank ?

My engine is only 2000 miles since rebuild and it does hunt but only due to the engine.s spec (Cam etc) ? ,the weber DCOE'45 have only done 400 miles from new and have no wear and all new butterfly return springs etc,also there is no wear in the balance adjustents etc as you would expect being new .

However my mates car has 2nd hand older worn 45's and that does idle like yours ,we think its down to them being worn and needing a service etc ? He doesnt have the water-oil issue like yours though .

Do you think its condensation in your oil tank ? What crankcase breather set up have you if at all ?

Edited by Dazza

Guest ashnicholls

It idled fine before I think, but I never had a Rev Counter, and just fitted one, and found it was idling too high, so I turned it down, and now having this idling problems.

Its funny such as day driving around town, every traffic lights I stopped at the car idled at different revs.

Like I say, barely idling, to idling above 1k.

Cheers Ash

Dazza
It idled fine before I think, but I never had a Rev Counter, and just fitted one, and found it was idling too high, so I turned it down, and now having this idling problems.

Its funny such as day driving around town, every traffic lights I stopped at the car idled at different revs.

Like I say, barely idling, to idling above 1k.

Cheers Ash

Out of interest have you forced shut the return on the throttle linkage to see if the idle drops (maybe accelerator cable issue ) or slack return springs hence the inconsistant idle ,sounds off but you havent disturbed the balance screw by mistake instead of the idle screw?

fortunately tuners who know how to set up these are very experienced and thats why i dont touch them at all .Paul at Skips is the only person who sets my car up and only Paul.He knows it inside out.

Edited by Dazza

Guest ashnicholls

It could just be condensation, because the car is parked on a wet gravel/sand drive.

I have the standard breather set up, where the main filler pipe needs replacing as its old and has perished and slumped, have new one to fit tomorrow, with one of the breather pipes in the top blocked off, and the other going into a catch tank with a filter on top.

They are as new fully reconditioned and tested DCOM's, look as new.

And was fully set up, and tuned at Hi Tech Motorsport near Aldon, where the bloke, Mick, is very good with Pugs and Webers.

I think it was idling fine, but I have only just fitted the rev counter so can only now see it hunting.

Cheers Ash

Dazza

Agreed ive heard of Hi tech they are good i believe , i would bet that your old filler neck pipes full of sludge they generally are Yuk . Do you do some decent journeys in the car or just short trips ? It is difficult to solve the solution to the water - oil issue if there's nothing obvious i would replace the pipe and keep an eye on it .As for the dcom's are they the newer replacments for dcoe 's ? i would take it down to Hi tech to set up again ,thats one of the down sides of carbs they are best kept set up correctly ,however they are worth it . B)

Guest ashnicholls

Yes thats why I am changing the pipe, done alot of long distance driving, my girlfriend lives in kent so I do 550miles every other weekend.

And then short journeys in the week.

Yes they are the replacement ones, I did have old DCOE's that were worn, and then bourght these DCOM's that were fully reconditioned and flow tested. All the lead plugs were drilled and re done to clean out all of the fuel pumps.

Daz_C

I believe that doing very short journeys causes the condensation especially this time of year.

I also run carbs and have a small amount of water in my "Catch Tank" (pop bottle). I'd guess probably about 2-3 Table spoons but i've not actually measured it. This is probably over 5 or 6 hundred miles.

My carbs are getting on a tad now approx 7yrs old here or there abouts and have no idling problems at all it ticks over solid as a rock.

As above Paul at Sbc does mine aswell.

Are you sure you didn't adjust the balancing screw on the linkage between the 2 carbs instead of the idle screw as this will play havock with your tickover and cause the simptons you are experiencing ?

I've just read that you have only noticed it hunting since fitting the rev counter ? If it is hunting you would here it hunting rev counter or no rev counter imo.

Guest ashnicholls

It only hunts sometimes, and between stalling and 900rpm, or idles constant at 1k or 1,2

No i have not touched balancing screw.

Sam

Yep, mine used to get loads of crap in it, the reason I'll never plumb the drain to the sump!

My idle was really really good for carbs after I got brand new carbs, always solves everything! B)

Guest ashnicholls

Ha yes, but these are spose to be good as new, as you say they must have gone out of tune, because they were idling ok.

But only had it tuned 2months ago.

Guest ashnicholls

Right, just got it sorted,

Just to set the record, the engine idled fine before.

And just took it Hi-Tech, where we fitted a fuel pressure regulator, which was half the problem.

And found that the spindle in one of the Webers was twisted.

Which I think was caused by my linkage coming lose, and coming half way off, meaning the linkage was working at an angle to the spindle, thus twisting it.

Because apart from that the engine was working fine and pulling well.

We have found that the engine oil I have got, full synthetic as recomened by oil man, is far too thin, causing me to get very low oil pressure at idle.

Just a question for you all what RPM have you all got your Webers idling at, Mick said should be about 1,000rpm, with the standard cam in it.

Cheers Ash

luggy

What temp thermostat have you got in?. Ive put a catch tank on mine a standard 8 valve because i got pissed off with the mayo build up and I did get quite a bit of fluid in the catch tank , but I use my car for work and do a lot of short journeys so this year Ive put a 89C stat in and the amount of in the catch tank is a lot less.

Guest ashnicholls

Not a clue it keeps quite cool though.

Guest ashnicholls

I am not too bothered about what the catch tank is collecting as long as it is normal, and I have not got engine problems.

Cheers Ash

Sign in to follow this