• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest clarky205

1.6 Gti Carb And Cam Info

Guest clarky205

Guys,

Looking for some info on the above. The engine is standard apart from 3 angle valve seats and cut back valves, the head has been skimmed about 10 thou.

What i really want to know is some BHP figures using different cams with weber 40s and any recommendations on what cam would be best to use?

It is to run in the up to 1600 class in rallies.

Thanks

PumaRacing
Guys,

Looking for some info on the above. The engine is standard apart from 3 angle valve seats and cut back valves, the head has been skimmed about 10 thou.

Then the compression ratio won't be anything like high enough to allow a rally cam to operate properly.

What i really want to know is some BHP figures using different cams with weber 40s and any recommendations on what cam would be best to use?

It is to run in the up to 1600 class in rallies.

Thanks

It's basically a waste of time asking what bhp other people, on different rolling roads, have got with engines that won't necessarily be anything like yours. The biggest cam you want will be in the low to mid 250's degrees duration at 1mm lift. The Piper 285 is suitable and there are various Catcams at about that spec. You'll need at least 10.5 to 11:1 compression to make that work. With a fairly standard head you might see just into the 130s true bhp. With a big valve head and everything done properly that could be mid 140s bhp.

Dazza

Out of interest ,what year of 1.6 gti is the engine from ? the early 1.6's had the smaller valves fitted further reducing the power output ,as this will be the starting point for you .

I would agree with Puma ,bhp figures and claims are different and not really worth gathering ,My engineer has always told me try to get the best gains with the smallest amount of Cam you can .HE also says you have to be sure what are where the power is best required and build it to suit within reality.

If you can get a nice little 1.6 into the 130-140 true bracket then providing your not expecting it to pull like a Subaru WRX it will be exellent and plenty for the rally event's .Dont forget the 1.6 gearing to.

Guest clarky205

Dazza,

It is a later spec head so has the bigger valves, I am not expecting it to set the world on fire just wanted to be a bit more competitive within the class.

It has the standard 1.6 BE1 box in with a Diff but i was looking at putting a 4.8 CWP in but not to sure if there was one already in the Pug range that would fit as Quaiffe want £500 for one which is a bit steep!!

Puma,

How much of a skim are we talking to get a decent compression ratio (10.5)? i was looking for somewhere around the 140 mark (true horsepower not rubbish figures!) with a good mid range as it is for rallies not circuit stuff so top end is not as important.

Or is t possible to get an MI16 and get it down to a 1600? Or is this just to expensive and not worth the bother?

Thanks for your help

Sign in to follow this