• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

405 Sri Engine

ORB

OK

So I have a complete 405 SRi Engine and a few 205 Engines.

What can you tell me about the 405 Engine?

Is it better/worse than the GTi 205 engine?

Torque?

BHP?

Any advanages/issues with this motor?

Cheers

ORB

ORB

oh,

the head looks different on the 405 head, but will a 1.9 gti head fit?

will it be on a par with a standard 1.9 gti engine after?

Ahl

Try a search, lots of posts on this.

The engine has less HP, but more torque. Due to different cylinder head, cam, engine management etc. It is a straight fit though.

sonofsam

Is it the XU9JAZ 122bhp DKZ engine? If so I want your cam :rolleyes::blink:

Edited by sonofsam

KRISKARRERA

127lbs torque and 125bhp. Probably better if you're a low rev merchant.

pug_ham
Is it the XU9JAZ 122bhp DKZ engine? If so I want your cam :rolleyes::blink:

No, they aren't. They are the XU9JA D6D usually found in the 405 SRi & BX GTi.

Graham.

Sandy

The cam is different duration and less exhaust lift than the 1.9GTi. As standard the ports are a bit restrictive on top end, but with the right work, a friend of mine has typically been getting 10-15bhp more out of this head compared to his similarly specced 1.9GTi heads. The trouble is that you can't bolt it straight on, to get the CR high enough you need to build a bottom end specifically for it.

veloce200
The cam is different duration and less exhaust lift than the 1.9GTi. As standard the ports are a bit restrictive on top end, but with the right work, a friend of mine has typically been getting 10-15bhp more out of this head compared to his similarly specced 1.9GTi heads. The trouble is that you can't bolt it straight on, to get the CR high enough you need to build a bottom end specifically for it.

hi Sandy

do you know full spec of the cam? I have one of these and am considering for my forthcoming turbo build. when it was in the head I noticed there was no lift at TDC which should suit a turbo.

i was going to use the head but I think for turbo build it's a lot of work and expense - better flow but spark plug location is worse.

back to topic - if you want a decent atmo engine i reckon this head with 1.6 pistons and bodies would make a great little engine for not a lot of cash. only problem is need for a tricky custom manifold

Sandy

There's a pic of the 1.8 306 Mark Shillaber did with this head and TB's in Dave walker's Engine Management book, it was a stonking engine and sounded fantastic as it screamed up the hill, kind of like half a DFV! He had two manifolds cast specially, one poked the horn's out of the bonnet, but was rejected by the scrotes, the other is pictured in Dave Wlakers book.

The cam timing at 1mm is 6:6' to 48 inlet and 43:14' to 1:6' exhaust, peak inlet is 11.4mm and exhaust 10.3mm (got one right behind me now!).

veloce200
There's a pic of the 1.8 306 Mark Shillaber did with this head and TB's in Dave walker's Engine Management book, it was a stonking engine and sounded fantastic as it screamed up the hill, kind of like half a DFV! He had two manifolds cast specially, one poked the horn's out of the bonnet, but was rejected by the scrotes, the other is pictured in Dave Wlakers book.

The cam timing at 1mm is 6:6' to 48 inlet and 43:14' to 1:6' exhaust, peak inlet is 11.4mm and exhaust 10.3mm (got one right behind me now!).

i never spotted that - lent it to someone - mmm never see that again as they have disappeared !

cast for dcoe patterns? wonder how much a recast would be? I've pretty much decided to go 1.6 turbo - although this puts me over 2l in the east (same class as 2l in west ??) it'll more fun on trackdays, prob finish no worse in sprints than under 2l (which is MUCH more competitive than over 2l!) will be a fraction of the cost of a 220hp MI 16 and will do over 45mpg on a cruise...it's going to be cheap, green and mean!

veloce200

i'm confused by the timing figs i'm used to seeing eg 6/48 43/14 can you elaborate? is that correct eg duration 234 inlet 237 exhaust? do you know what LCA it's on? thx

Edited by veloce200

Sandy
i'm confused by the timing figs i'm used to seeing eg 6/48 43/14 can you elaborate? is that correct eg duration 234 inlet 237 exhaust? do you know what LCA it's on? thx

I was using a colon as degree symbol, if there is a degree symbol I don't know how to get it! So, long hand...

Inlet opens 1mm at 6 degrees 6 minutes BTDC

Inlet closes 1mm at 48 degrees ABDC

Inlet duration over 1mm lift is 234 degrees 6 minutes, approximate peak angle 111 degrees ATDC

Exhaust opens 1mm at 43 degrees 14 minutes BBDC

Exhaust closes 1mm at 1 degree 6 minutes ATDC

Exhaust duration over 1mm lift is 224 degrees 20 minutes, approximate peak angle 111 degrees ABDC

veloce200
I was using a colon as degree symbol, if there is a degree symbol I don't know how to get it! So, long hand...

Inlet opens 1mm at 6 degrees 6 minutes BTDC

Inlet closes 1mm at 48 degrees ABDC

Inlet duration over 1mm lift is 234 degrees 6 minutes, approximate peak angle 111 degrees ATDC

Exhaust opens 1mm at 43 degrees 14 minutes BBDC

Exhaust closes 1mm at 1 degree 6 minutes ATDC

Exhaust duration over 1mm lift is 224 degrees 20 minutes, approximate peak angle 111 degrees ABDC

ah I see - blimey I've never seen minutes quoted even by the cam makers - very precise :) Thanks- i take it you measured this yourself? seems like a pretty ideal cam for turbo'ing a 205. (their must be some lift @ TDC i can't remember it looking that way when installed)

As for the 405 Sri engine I think in atmo form it would probably respond very well to a 205 GTI 1.6 or 1.9 cam but I suspect the tuned lengths of the inlet manifold might mean the torque output was not as impressive. Seeing as this may be a useful reference for people would you be so kind to publish the std 1.9 gti cam figures as I've tried a search but no luck.

sonofsam

DKZ - 0.445" lift, ? deg. @ 0.050" That is the Cam Im trying to source at the moment!

Sandy

I don't have the 205 GTi cam specs to hand, but basically the same with more overlap from memory. There's something in the main site technical pages iirc.

veloce200
DKZ - 0.445" lift, ? deg. @ 0.050" That is the Cam Im trying to source at the moment!

get your hands on xu9j2 cam - reckon it's a better cam allround than DKZ and more common

veloce200
get your hands on xu9j2 cam - reckon it's a better cam allround than DKZ and more common

ok more analysis of cams (sorry about the thread hijack ORB but it is all related to finding the best solution to Atmo and turbo 205/405 hybrids!)

___________1.6 1.9 Sri

In/opens____8 11.5 1

In/closes____42 43 48

Duration____230 234.5 234

LCA________107 105.75 111

Ex/Opens___40.5 46 43

Ex/Closes__2.5 2 1

LCA_______109 112 111

Duration____223 228 224

so from the above one can see how the SRI cam improves low end torque with retarded inlet. without actual lift at tdc figures it's hard to say which is best for turbo but it seems that the 1.9 overlap is on inlet only so ideal for turbo. for atmo I would say the 1.9 cam would be best in a 405 engine but only with raised compression. Looking at the inlet/exhaust LCA for 1.9 cam (it closely resembles suburu turbo specific cams) it actually looks like it is probably the best cam for a turbo engine as well. what does anyone else think ?

Edited by veloce200

KRISKARRERA

I can put up the cam spec of all phase 1 405 engines if that's any help?

veloce200
I can put up the cam spec of all phase 1 405 engines if that's any help?

the spec listed is for the downdraft port version - there are others I take it? could be useful !

thanks

Sign in to follow this