• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Induction Kit (aftermarket Air Filter)

DirtyFlare

I have got a 1.6 gti and i have searched the forum but have had no joy.

Here is a picture of my engine bay

enginebay205.jpg

I only brought the car a week ago and first thing i noticed was the aftermarket air filter isnt exactly in a good place. It is nicely situated at the back of the engine bay with no cold air feed, umm nice HOT air... :)

So i want to sort this out. I have seen pictures of people running their after market air filters down the front of the engine bay. I want to be able to do this and I know that to do so I will need an adaptor such as the KnN so the two pipes can connect up to it.

But the problem is, I have got power steering so surely the resivour tank (bottom right of the engine bay) will get in the way. So how do i get around this problem? Relocate the resivour? If so how? or can't I?

Any help would be great :P

Thanx

welshpug

best bet is to replace the original airbox and use a K&N E9000 element, or as you said relocate the PAS reservoir though I'm not sure how but its been done on the Goodwood I've just god hold of so I'll take some pictures of it next time i'm at the garage.

DirtyFlare

ok, thanx, that would be great !!

pug_ham
I have got a 1.6 gti and i have searched the forum but have had no joy.

There are links to two articles about fitting the induction shortener in the correct way in the links at the side of each section to articles on the main site.

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?data=e2-induct1

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e2-induct2.html

Just unbolt the PAS reservoir & use a piece of the old AFM / battery surround brackets to make a new support.

Graham.

DirtyFlare

umm they have helped. I will have to inspect the it a little further. Does any one know where I can get teh adaptor for the SAD and breather pipes like those shown in the above articals?

cheers

sonofsam

They usually come with the kit, but isnt that guide showing you how to make your own.

DirtyFlare

Yeah they do, but what is meant by "hose spigots"?

Maybe a stupid question to some but you dont know untill you ask (im an apprentice so you should get used to it)

I'm guessing that they are the actual parts the breather & SAD hoses connect to?

Edited by DirtyFlare

sonofsam

Yes.

You'll find Spigot's on many things.The 'pin' in the centre of a record player is a Spigot

pug_ham
what is meant by "hose spigots"?

Maybe a stupid question to some but you dont know untill you ask (im an apprentice so you should get used to it)

I'm guessing that they are the actual parts the breather & SAD hoses connect to?

Thats exactly what they are, use the ones from you current intake pipe, they will come off with gentle persuasion of the spring clip washers.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this