• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest eddscruff

Mi Spark Problem

Guest eddscruff

Finally finished Mi conversion and all MOT'd, taxed etc.

Ran car for about 2 weeks, everything fine. Then the distributer cap broke where one of the HT leads plugs in. Replaced the cap with a spare (used) cap and it ran fine for about 5 mins. went down to 3 cylinders and then conked out.

Dizzy cap still in once piece this time, but the rotor is a tad chewed up, not badly but can't be good.

Bought a new rotor and dizzy cap, fitted it and its made no difference. Car won't even start now! Tries too but just won't.

Any ideas peeps? only had 2 weeks driving :)

Thanks

Edd

Anthony

How does the inside of the dizzy cap look? As new, or pretty ropey?

After it tries to fire but doesn't, try unplugging the injectors and try again - my old Mi was notorious for killing caps/arms and would flood itself because of the weak spark.

taylorspug

Have you checked that the mounting boss for the rotor arm (which bolts onto the end of the cam with a star bolt) is on square and correct, sounds like the rotor arm is out of line and chewing up the cap and arm.

As for the current non starting have you got the leads on correctly?

Guest eddscruff

Cheers chaps.

Yeah i double checked that i had put the leads back on in the correct order.

The inside of the cap looked fine, nothing like the rotor.

Pretty sure the rotor is on square although i will check that.

I'll have a look at the flooding thing and see what i can find.

Thanks again guys.

Edd

Guest eddscruff

Right, still not having any luck. :)

Tried a different ignition amp and it sounded like the spark was even weeker.

Its not flooded and when it does try to start it sounds like its only firing on three cylinders.

When i bought the engine i wasn't told that it needed new plugs and leads. After i finished the conversion it was only firing on three cylinders. It went on the rollers and had new plugs and leads and all seemed fine.

It had a new coil before i bought the engine, leads and plugs and done about 100 miles, its a brand new dizzy cap and rotor. What else can i try?

The new dizzy cap and rotor both seem fine, no chewed up bits or marking.

Edited by eddscruff

j_turnell

Have you done a compression test atall?

Have you tried another crank sensor?

pug_ham

Is the crank sensor bolt tight in the gearbox?

IIRC someone had similar poroblems quite a while ago that was caused simply due to the crank sensor bolt being loose in the gearbox & letting the CAS move around causing an intermittent pick up.

Graham.

Guest eddscruff

Crank sensor? No haven't had a look at that. I'll have a look tomorrow when its light.

Guest eddscruff

Still stuck! Crank snesor seems fine and just charged my battery because i thought that might be a tad flat.

Its just turning over and over but not firing. started once but died straight away.

Anymore ideas guys before i have to get my wallet out?

Guest eddscruff

Update!

Just had the plugs out and each one is sparking so that all seems ok.

Took the hose off the injector rail to see if owt was coming out of there, fuel is spurting out intermitantly, is this normal? Also, should the fuel pump prime the system on the second turn of the ignition like in some other cars? mine doesn't.

losing the will to live now! :)

nick

Have a look at the two relays (on the Mi loom), mine had a dodgy relay which gave an intermitent fault similar to yours.

Nick

Normski

I was checking my fuel pump delivery not so long ago. I'm not certin but I don't think mine primed with the ignition key, almost sure it didn't. But the actual amount of fuel that came out while cranking (it was a constant flow) was surprizing, it 3/4 filled a jam jar in a few seconds. The delivery (in a 205 GTi) should be 540cc in 15 seconds so you can check that. :)

pacey205

The Mi dosent prime like the old 8v, it only pumps when your cranking.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Guest eddscruff

Just swapped the fuel pump and injector relays and that did nothing.

Borrowed a crank sensor and tried that but the engine wouldn't even turn over! So at least i know that the sensor on the car wasn't faulty. Although when i refitted it i expected to be back to the engine turning over but not starting. Now the engine won't even turn over!

anything else i need to try? :D

jackherer

the crank sensor has nothing to do with the engine turning over, sounds like you disturbed something else like possibly the gearbox earth?

Sign in to follow this