• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt205xs

More Mi Problems!

matt205xs

Took my MI for its first drive in 18months today, and feeling a bit fed up now,

Speedometer stuck at 30mph and wont move,

Theres a Tappet noise coming from head?

Engine smelt hot when i got it home, so opened the expansion tank and water just gushed out! (is this normal)

Im not sure if my fan is kicking in, when should it kick in? and if it isnt how do i test it?

AND LASTLY!

Alternator didnt charge the battery when it was running even with it all being wired up, should it be 14.4V across Alterntor when running?

Thanks

dee205

A tappedy noise isn't that unusual on an Mi. Did you do the usual checks for oil and coolant before you took it out?

The engine smelt hot probably because it was hot! it would smell a bit more noticable when the car has been sitting for a while and oil and dirt has built up and hardened on the engine.

It was a bit stupid taking the cap of the expansion tank after a run out don't you think??

Considering the fact that the water gets heat up and pressurised! you lucky you didn't give your self a real bad burn. It's normal for it to gush out if you open it just after a run out and the temperature has built up.

The fan on my Mi doesn't kick in till way up the guage. Sometimes scares me a bit but also normal on most.

What shape is the battery in? If it's been lying a while it will take a bit to get it charged again. I have to jump start my 205 cause it's off the road and even after a good roasting down the back roads for 20 minutes or so and half n hour ticking over outside the house it still won't hace charged enough to start it if I switch it off.

Damien

matt205xs

The battery was new about 2-3 months ago, but saying that it hasnt been started for a good 2 weeks, so may just need a good charge over night,

Banjo

Speedo cable seized

Try changing the oil

Yes thats normal

There is a brown plug by the fan resistor thats not plugged in to anything, if you bridge the connections with a bit of wire you can test the two fan speeds

Yes about 14v is normal so yours is probly nackerd.

Ben

matt205xs

right ive just gone to disconnect the fan (blue connector and there are 3 wires on there? which ones do i ned to bridge to test if there working?

Wurzel
right ive just gone to disconnect the fan (blue connector and there are 3 wires on there? which ones do i ned to bridge to test if there working?

The terminal on one of the ends is the permanent live (+ve). Pick an end and then short it with the centre terminal, if nothing happens, try the other end terminal and short that with the centre. Keep the wire on the end terminal and then short it with the opposite end for the other fan speed. :blink:

matt205xs

Thanks will try tomorrow,

I did pore boiling water over the sensor on the rad? hoping this would turn the fan on, nothing happened,

also on the loom going in between the sensor and the switch connector should there be one spare connector also?

Wurzel

There is a 'spare' connector loafing about by the nearside headlight. No need to worry about it.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow :blink:

pug_ham
also on the loom going in between the sensor and the switch connector should there be one spare connector also?

If its a five pin brown plug with only three wires in then its the test connection plug mentioned above.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this