• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Front Subframe

vern

I am rebuilding the subframe, and I cannot remmeber which of the 3 holes the ball goes in for the gear rods?.

Also the L shaped bracket on my car has play between the bracket and bush ie when tightened up there is play on L shaped bracket, it is the same on another bracket I have. Should it be like this or should it be nice and tight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sonofsam

post-6977-1164459494_thumb.jpg

Does that help?The 'L' bracket that usually gets shortened ( ie quickshift ) goes on the mount to the left of the other, if that makes sense lol

Wich 'L' bracket has play in it?The one one the right has a nut that you can tighten from underneath , also has a split pin to hold it in place

Maybe you should of taken some photos before you started stripping :blink:

vern

Thanks for reply sam, your car looks about the same as mine!!. I took loads of pics but not of this bit, the long rod that goes from the gearstick and connects to the subframe on a ball joint, does this ball go in the middle of the three hole on subframe, looks like centre hole in your pic but not sure?.

Yes the L shaped bracket that gets modifed for quickshift has play in it.

sonofsam
your car looked about the same as mine!!.

The Quickshift bracket should move freely on it's axis, i think it has a copper washer before you put the bolt back in.

If you expand that picture you may be able to see more clearly:)

vern

One problem solved the ball joint uses the centre hole. The L shaped bracket is nice and secure on bolt etc, bolt down fully, but the L bracket moves about on the centre bush (the bit which holds bolt etc).

lagonda

My "L bracket" had no play, it moved smoothly but stiffly. Undid the bolt & found everything was working on a mixture of rust & old grease. Hard to understand how something reasonably protected could get that rusty. Anyway, cleaned it all up. You'll find the centre bolt has a smooth shank, & the "L bracket" itself has a couple of nylon top-hat bushes. You might expect these to have worn to one side, but strangely no such wear is apparent, & now I've reassembled it, it's quite floppy! Perhaps I should have just greased the rusty mess. I'm going to see if I can get replacement bushes, can't be that expensive!

vern

Right a picture paints a thousand words, it is loose where the arrow points to, my feeling is, it is loose and needs tighting or a few tacks of weld, but like I said I have another bracket of another car and it has the same symptoms.

Is this a common problem or are they supposed to be like it??.

post-6217-1164485892.gif

sonofsam

Did you re-fit the washer?

pug_ham

There should be a thin sprung weasher between the top of the "L" bracket & the bolt.

Item J in this page on the parts cd but even then there is a small amount of play.

Graham.

vern

The problem is not with the bolt it is tight there is no play between bolt and Nylon bushes and L Bracket, the problem is between the part of the L bracket where it actually joins the metal part that holds the nylon bushes, where the arrow points to in the picture.

sonofsam

As I said before the 'L' bracket should move freely on the nylon bush.

I freed mine off before refiting it using a vice and some GT85:)

vern

Thanks for replies guys, we will get there in the end I am sure.

Lets look at it another way, imagine the L bracket without the bolt or nylon bushs or washers, in your hand you have the L bracket, which is made up of flat plate and where bolt goes through there is a raised round bit that holds bushes etc, the play is between the flat plate and the raised round bit, as where the arrow is pointing.

sonofsam

If you're that worried, go get another one from the breakers, all the ones I've ever got ( must be about 10 now!) have been solid as you like:)

vern

I have got a spare and it is the same. That is why I was asking if supposed to be like it?, I have now put a few tack welds in as I think it should not be loose.

sonofsam

You've welded it up :blink:

vern

Yes I have!!.

lagonda

If I'm reading this right, you've taken the "L bracket" off, pushed out the nylon bushes, and then find you've got play in the collar forming part of the L bracket that houses said bushes. There's no movement here on mine, & I can't see any reason there should be, so welding it up can only improve things.

vern

Yes lagonda that is correct, thanks for checking yours, I thought it should be tight but just not sure.

Sign in to follow this