• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Irish Al

Brake Pedal Travel

Irish Al

Got a problem with the brakes.

When driving along and I brake they seem to work ok to slow down a bit, but at the end of the road the pedal gets closer to the floor the longer i press it.

Is there anything other than air in the system that might cause this ???

The bleed nipples on the rear have broken trying to remove them and I want to eliminate everything else before getting them retapped.

This also happens when the car is turned off and stationary, theres no fluid anywhere so am sure its not a leak.

Perhaps a servo or m/c problem ???

Al

Anthony

If there's definately no leaks, then it sounds like your master cylinder is dying if you've got pedal creep (maintain pressure on the pedal and it'll slowly go to the floor)

Irish Al

Aye, thats definately what happens. I maintain pressure and the pedal slowley goes to the floor.

If I am travelling along the road and I release the pedal and press again the brakes work of, but the pedal travels to the floor again.

I wouldnt say the brakes were spongy.

Ill replace the m/c (when I learn how too) and see what happens.

Anthony

Double check the entire system for leaks first before spending money, as even the slightest leak (which likely won't drip) will cause this symptom as well

dee205

Doesn't the m/c use the vacuum pipe from the manifold? If this was split or leaking wouldn't it result in the above?

Damien

Anthony
Doesn't the m/c use the vacuum pipe from the manifold? If this was split or leaking wouldn't it result in the above?

No, you'd just have no/poor servo assistance and would need lots of force on the pedal to stop in that scenario, rather than the pedal creeping to the floor under pressure.

dee205

I see.

You're a wealth of information Anthony! :)

huzzer

Not got the same problem but it is an odd one! :)

For days the brakes will be fine, no probs. Then, randomly, I will get about an inch more of travel and seemingly no servo assistance. This could last for half that journey or a couple of days but then go back to normal.

I'm guessing it is a problem with the vacuum but I cant seem to find any leaks!

(Sorry for hijacking the thread but hadn't really bothered worrying about it until I read this)

Anyone got any thoughts? :P

Guest Red_SLR

There is a very similar thread to this one from a couple of years ago - same description etc. I will dig it out and post it in a mo.

taylorspug
No, you'd just have no/poor servo assistance and would need lots of force on the pedal to stop in that scenario, rather than the pedal creeping to the floor under pressure.

Plus the engine would run badly as you would have a vacuum leak. :rolleyes:

Irish Al

Just an update on this.

I removed the brake fluid cap last week as I thought it would let air in/release the vacum and if there was any leaks I might find them easier. (Not sure if it would make any difference ???)

Was under the car tonight and the drivers side rear wheel was covered in brake fluid. Got the wheel and brake pads/holder off and it seems to be leaking from the caliper piston. Still to remove the caliper but the flexy brake hose ends are all rusted to buggery.

Anyone else had similar problems. Not sure whether to get

1) Ssecond hand calipers

2) Caliper service Kit from http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/

3) Caliper Seal Kit from http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/

Al

Sign in to follow this