• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CTI STU

Lowering My Cti

CTI STU

I want to lower my Cti 60mm (will only look like 35mm as the Cti sits like a 4x4!!)

Ive been told I need to get shorter shocks if I lower it any more than 40mm??

I lowerd my old 1.6 gti 50mm and didnt change the shocks and it was fine?

Are they just trying to sell me shocks as well??

welshpug

yes you will need shocks designed for a shorter stroke if you're going that much lower than Std.

Standard shocks will not last very long at all as they are already part way through their travel and have to work so much harder to keep the spring under control.

uprated dampers are generally shorter and uprated in damping to cope with a decreased ground clearance.

CTI STU
yes you will need shocks designed for a shorter stroke if you're going that much lower than Std.

Standard shocks will not last very long at all as they are already part way through their travel and have to work so much harder to keep the spring under control.

uprated dampers are generally shorter and uprated in damping to cope with a decreased ground clearance.

But the car will still be 60mm lower wont it if I leave the std shocks on for now (cant afford both yet and want to get up rated front and rear shocks)

jonnie205

Yes the shocks have no affect on rideheight. You will be fine on std shocks but the ride will be a bit crashy. When you have the dosh buy some bilstein sprintline or koni adjustables, dont buy rear shox as the pug ones are the best

CTI STU
Yes the shocks have no affect on rideheight. You will be fine on std shocks but the ride will be a bit crashy. When you have the dosh buy some bilstein sprintline or koni adjustables, dont buy rear shox as the pug ones are the best

Thats good to know about the rears as ive just been given a set of brand new un-used pug shocks :unsure:

And ive just been told the 60mm springs are actually 40mm :(

Anyone know where I can get 60mm springs most I can find are 50mm :( and I cant put a add in the wanted section as ive not got 30 posts :(

Some one has offerd me a set of 60mm springs off a 1.8 diesel???

pug_ham

Maybe 50mm springs are the most you can get unless you have some custom made.

60mm springs from a diesel won't lower the CTi by that much imo, they sit higher than the CTi as standard & have a different spring rate due to the heavier engine.

Graham.

Guest smokinslim

A little more info here for you; Std CTI dampers are the same size as std GTi ones, only difference apart from the lack of drop-link bracket on the CTI dampers is the CTI ones are a little softer. I've lowered my CJ roughly 40mm on the front, originally with GTI dampers then changed to CTi dampers, no problems with either. What ever you decide though it's well worth checking the other suspension components while your in there i.e. bearings, bushes etc as worn ones will make a tremendous difference to the ride.

CTI STU
A little more info here for you; Std CTI dampers are the same size as std GTi ones, only difference apart from the lack of drop-link bracket on the CTI dampers is the CTI ones are a little softer. I've lowered my CJ roughly 40mm on the front, originally with GTI dampers then changed to CTi dampers, no problems with either. What ever you decide though it's well worth checking the other suspension components while your in there i.e. bearings, bushes etc as worn ones will make a tremendous difference to the ride.

Good idea i will get my mate to check all the bushes etc when he fits the springs, If i can ever find any that will drop my Cti 60mm :blink:

Guest smokinslim

If you lay your hands on some shortened dampers, get some 40mm springs and trim them a little at a time until you get the desired height. The quoted difference in height is only a rough guide anyway; I started off with two sets of lowering springs of different brand, one quoting 30mm drop and the other 40mm drop. The ones quoting the 30mm drop lowered my car more than the 40mm ones did!

Sign in to follow this