• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Mi16 Cambelt Question

hexhamstu

which way am i supposed to turn the tensioners into the belt clockwise or anti clockwise? do i turn them both the same way? or what?

ive done the front one and it seems to hold, but the back one just seems to want to slip out even though ie done the allen key up with all my might.

i liked the 8v tensioner better :)

Normski

It doesn't matter which way you turn the tensioners, you just need to position them to get the correct tension on the belt. I do it without the special tensioning tool, twisting the belt 45deg midway on the longest run. It shouldn't be too tight either.

Once you have them set for the correct tension, turn the engine by hand 2 full turns (crankshaft) to get it in position and then check the tension is still ok and the timing is right. :)

hexhamstu

fair dos.

hexhamstu

turn the crank shaft clockwise? yes?

hexhamstu

turn the crank shaft clockwise? yes?

jackherer

yes

jez205

As said above turn the crankshaft clockwise.

If the tensioner is going slack that easily then DONT start the car. If its not too late and your still trying to tension the belt properly then remove the allen headed bolts and throw them away, they were superceded bt normal bolts with penny washers by Peugeot as they have a tendancy to strip in the hex shaped recess, if you do go and buy some more bolts make sure the washers are not so big as to prevent you putting the tensioning tool in the side of the tensioner. (Tensioner tool can be made from a Peugeot type sump plug tool - square head - cut down so it just slots in to the square recess in the tensioner, this can then be used with a 3/8ths power bar from your socket set)

If you do ever get stuck with an allen headed bolt stripping preventing you from undoing the tensioner, you can still slacken off the tensioner by using the tool mentioned above with a bit of force - this will also loosen off the tight allen headed bolt.

Regards

Jez

hexhamstu

i think i just wasnt turning the allen key hard enough because i couldnt get my hand on it properly, i got the allen key pointing up wards and slotted the handle from the jack over the end and gave it a good turn (not so hard to strip it). and now it seems fine, but im fairly sure the starter motor is dead, so im waiting for a friend to finish work so we can bump it.

Sign in to follow this