• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vince

1.9 Gti Oil Pressure

vince

hi,

I'm slowly but surely getting my recently bought 1.9 GTI into a better condition and I'm now starting on the less important things (well, I hope so...)

My oil pressure indication is somehow the opposite than it should be, reading 4 bars at idle and going down to the limit of the red zone when revving it up to 6000rpm... my first guess would be to do a proper oil purge and filter replacement, but could the pressure sensor connections be inverted and would it give such readings? otherwise, what could it be?

in another hand, when starting the engine (cold) it starts on 3 cylinders and after 10 secs the 4th come in, I don't mind too much but as it is not normal I would like to fix it. but it could be so many things... ignitor, ignitor leads, injector, fuel pressure regulator... any advice?

thanks

vince

mishu
My oil pressure indication is somehow the opposite than it should be, reading 4 bars at idle and going down to the limit of the red zone when revving it up to 6000rpm... my first guess would be to do a proper oil purge and filter replacement, but could the pressure sensor connections be inverted and would it give such readings? otherwise, what could it be?

I doubt the connections are inverted as you say, as I assume (could be wrong) that the sensor only gives a positive voltage, and doesn't switch polarity. Use a multimeter on the voltage setting to see what voltage is output from the sensor (or at the dash).

in another hand, when starting the engine (cold) it starts on 3 cylinders and after 10 secs the 4th come in, I don't mind too much but as it is not normal I would like to fix it. but it could be so many things... ignitor, ignitor leads, injector, fuel pressure regulator... any advice?

I'd check spark plugs and distributor, preferably in that order.

vince

Thanks mishu for the tips.

I will follow your advices for the pressure problem, even if I will do an oil scavenge/replacement and filter replacement as it looks very old...

and for the start problem I was planning to replace to the plugs anyway, but I was talking with a friend today, who is the owner of the 1.6 I have, and said that it is typical of injector problems. what do you think??

vince

mishu

Injectors could also be the problem. I have a carburettor model, so I don't have too much experience with injectors, but it makes a lot of sense.

futura

I am not too sure what would cause your strange oil pressure readings, could this be down to the oil pump?

Regarding your starting problems it could be a hell lot of things, ignition and/or injection. If you know other 205 owners (I know a lot of them in IDF, are you member of any french forums? :P ) try to swap part by part until you find the culprit.

Personally I had a similar issue where the engine was running really rough and it turned out to be leaking injectors, but it doesn't mean it is your case, it's just a possibility ;)

vince
I am not too sure what would cause your strange oil pressure readings, could this be down to the oil pump?

NOOOOOO! I just don't want it to be the oil pump... ;):D well I just tried to do the oil scavenge but the drain plug it really tight and my square socket is not in good shape, so I 'll first have to look at a proper tool and proper hexagonal drain plug... once the scavenge is done and the engine tested I will look at the sender as explained by mishu, then if no fix will be time to look at more serious stuff... :blink:

Regarding your starting problems it could be a hell lot of things, ignition and/or injection. If you know other 205 owners (I know a lot of them in IDF, are you member of any french forums? ;) ) try to swap part by part until you find the culprit.
I'm not as I find the proper infos I need here, plus all the expert advices... :P may be I should...and people from that place are more involved in racing cars and really serious modification, compaired to most of the French GTI drivers who are more into tuning...

Personally I had a similar issue where the engine was running really rough and it turned out to be leaking injectors, but it doesn't mean it is your case, it's just a possibility :)

I just replaced the spark plugs, will try to start it while cold tomorrow morning. after that, I'll have a look at the distributor, and then will go for 4 new injectors, when more money is available, as they look pretty old and in order to get the car as much serviced/clean as I can.

I don't mind too much waiting few months to replace the injectors, even if the engine mounts are suffering a little bit, but they'll eventually go too... then...

thanks futura

vince

PumaRacing
hi,

vince

I've covered this in detail in a recent thread. A blocked oil pick-up pipe in the sump will give this symptom.

lagonda

Can't say I've had trouble with oil pressure, but after taking my sump (1.6, pressed steel) off & cleaning it, found it was quite dented. Clearly some absolute moron has jacked the car up by jacking under the sump. There is a tell-tale ring worn on the inside of the sump, corresponding with the oil pick-up, & the oil pick-up itself is also dented.

Might be worth checking that.

vince

that's great advices!! thanks! I was considering replacing the sump seal as it is very slightly leaking, but now it looks it's not anymore an option...

thanks

I'll update that post when more infos....

vince

futura

Regarding your starting problems I'd change the ignition leads too as they're a quite cheap replacement.

And for french forums, the ones I am a member of are not into tuning at all, but some of them can be quite 'private circles' :blink:

Edited by futura

lagonda

Just another thought ... your oil pressure problem could also be caused by a crack/hole/damage in the oil pick-up pipe itself. Assuming that at high engine speeds the oil level in the sump drops, if that drop was then below the damaged area, you would suck in air with the oil, which would give you low oil pressure.

I stand to be corrected about the level drop theory, but presume you could check for this fairly easily by simply TEMPORARILY overfilling the sump with oil, enough to more than cover the oil pump. As you'd then effectively removed the option to suck in air, your oil pressure would not drop if the fault was said damage.

vince

it just gives me another reason to first do a proper oil servicing, then check the engine oil pressure. next step will be the sender: replacement. after that, if the pressure indication is still bad, then I will take the sump off...the pick up pipe theory comes back in many threads, so it's a serious candidate, as well as the sender.

for the engine start, a set of new spark plugs didn't help. so now I will have a look at the distributor even If I'm not convinced it could be at fault on this case as I would have other symptoms that just starting on 3 cylinders. pretty sure I must be an injector, but I want to start from the easier bit and don't let any small possibility unchecked...

vince

vince

well, the oil servicing didn't help too. so now I've to dig in the haynes manual to find out where is the sender....

vince

Sign in to follow this