• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanS1982

Fitting Harnessess

DanS1982

(And yes I've used the search!)

Having stripped out my 205 and ordered some harnessess which will require 4 eye bolt fitting locations. Please can someone tell me the ideal/best location to fit these eye bolts and what (if any) exisiting bolt holes can I use? The only obvious one is where the rear seat belt buckles are located.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by DanS1982

pdd144c

I used all the original seat belt points plus an extra one fitted in the floor just behind the handbrake, which had both the inner waist belts attached to it.

Eye bolts should go straight in to the original holes as the thread is the same, the extra one involved drilling and a plate for strengthening, then a nut which was then spot welded to the plate. All changed now I have my cage though and only one seat!

DanS1982
I used all the original seat belt points plus an extra one fitted in the floor just behind the handbrake, which had both the inner waist belts attached to it.

Eye bolts should go straight in to the original holes as the thread is the same, the extra one involved drilling and a plate for strengthening, then a nut which was then spot welded to the plate. All changed now I have my cage though and only one seat!

Thanks for that - Maybe I'm being stupid but where can I fix the second should strap to (the first goes into the buckle holes) and which hole is used to fit the right hand lap belt?

Cheers,

Dan

hengti

the right hand lap belt eyelet goes into the setbelt rail along the bottom of the door

you might struggle fitting a 4-point belt, as there's not really anywhere to put the fourth strap - it's unlikely they'll both go on the eyelet in the rear seat base without 'catching' against one another

dommorton

4 point will require some new holes to be drilled on the rear seat base or I have seen them bolted through the boot floor before now. Ideally they should attach to a cross bar at about half seat height. A strength plate will need to be fitted to any floor mountings.

The centre tunnel then needs drilling both side of the handbrake to then fit strength plates for the eyelets to screw into.

Strength plates cost peanuts ;)

here

Edited by dommorton

pdd144c

Why would four point require that?! There are already 4 rear seat ones...

dommorton

My bad I wasn't thinking when I wrote that! The seat base does indeed have 4 mounts already.

I guess for ideal spacing the current ones are less than ideal tho as the belts will be off at angles. Although having the top straps mounted that low in the back is an apparent no no, I have however seen many a 205 with them mounted down there?

Edited by dommorton

DanS1982

Thanks for the info guys!

SPGTi

For mounting harnesses, make sure your seat is in position first.

The 2 lapstraps should be mounting points should be behind your hips so that when the straps are tightened you are pulled back into your seat. For the driver usually the std seatbelt point in the sill is OK but a hole will need to be drilled in the tunnel with a backing plate/ captive nut, preferably welded on the outside of the tunnel for the other side. Depending how the passenger seat is mounted (mine is as low as poss. and as far back as poss.) you may or may not be able to use the original seat belt mounting point. I cannot as it makes the lap strap position too far forward.

The rear straps can be mounted using one of the rear seat belt holes directly behind the seat and another drilled nxt to it, again with a backing plate captive nut setup welded on the exterior of the shell. This may not be as good as rollcage mounted but falls within MSA spec for positioning. I am not sure whether using the high rear seat belt oem fixing position is ok as the angle of the belt should be a max of 20degrees from the centre of the seat in the horizonal plane.

MSA specs are shoulder straps - preferred + or - 10 degrees from horizontal with a max of 45 degrees below the horizontal permitted.

laps straps are 45 - 65 degrees behind the harness hole (IIRC).

Steve

Sign in to follow this