• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tony_205

Chip And Remap - Worth It?

Tony_205

I have been offered a chip and remap for 150quid. This is a trustable source who does it for a living so theres no worries there, im just trying to find out if it actually makes a difference on a 1.9 GTi.

My engine will be standard apart from a performance air filter. I want to keep my new GTi looking totally standard so this seems to be the first step to modding it - and with this, what sort of power increase should i be expecting? 3-8bhp?

What do you lot think? Is there any drawbacks etc which i should know about?

Batfink

about as pointless as a chocolate teapot im afraid.

Super Josh

The Jetronic system on your doesn't actually contain a digital 'Map'. It is an analogue system that uses the output from the air flow meter and the coolant temperature sensor and throttle switch to control the injector duration. The spark and advance curve are controlled by the distributor. So the chip and remap doesn't exist. You can buy a small piggy back board that will alter the fuelling a little and can remove some of the kangarooing, but you would be better off getting the car on the rollers and making sure everything is set up as it was from the factory :) Should cost around 50 quid and well worth it.

Josh

Tony_205

Thanks for answering my question!

Apreciate that lads, nice one :)

taffycrook

This is a good question and worth answering with an example of how good the std ECU is at coping with increased air flow and thus power.

If the std 1.9 ecu is used with a mi16 engine it can still cope with the fuelling of up to 165bhp in one example I have tested. Now a good 1.9 with an exhaust and filter may just about make 130bhp.

Tony_205

As mentioned above, i will be keeping the standard exhaust system, iv heard this is not worth being changed? Was going to get a group A full system but if there is a chance ill be losing power and torque then whats the point?

Whats the next step to getting more power then guys? Car is standard apart from filter.

I dont really want to be messing around with Cams etc either at this stage!

willxs

i dont think there are many 'small' mods you can do to achieve power. a set of carbs would be a good place to start (or bodies if you can stretch to it).

just strip it out. cheapest mod and you gain power-to-weight which is Just as good.

number2301

If you're after a remap kind of thing there's always the Motronic conversion, just search for Motronic or MP3.1 and you should find something.

Sign in to follow this