• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Water In Rear Seat Wells

TaffyTim

I started this thread so I wasnt hijaking Munky205's:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry620636

I presumed my water leak was coming from the plugs that hold down my boot mat, I was wrong.

I got the car back from Miles's on Friday night and noticed there was water in the seat well's again as the seats were still out following its MOT.

Today i was drying the water out and a hard shower passed over. Whilst in the car i noticed water trickeling down from the rear quarter windows, so went to put silicone in the window seals, i managed to do 1 but got caught in another shower so didnt fancy doing the other one but i'll do it next weekend.

Its been said that water can come through the boot lock also. Can someone be a bit more specific with this as i have done a search but cant seem to find which bit of the boot lock i should seal up with silicone.

Any other tips also welcome.

j_turnell

Its a common thing for the rear window seals to dry out over time, i think peugeot still sell them your best off finding some replacements, also take the rear cards off and make sure theres no water sitting in the bottom of the sills as thats where problems start.

The bootl ock has a very thin rubber seal, its easy to take out, remove the plastic inner and prise the retainer clip upwards and the lock pops out, renewing this seal may help things but generally not found this to be the problem from my experience.

Edited by j_turnell

feb

Check the seal around the boot lid. Water can get in from there. If it rains heavily while you are parked check the boot next morning before you move the car and you can probably get an idea of where the water is coming from. Remove the sound deadening of the boot too as it traps water if you have a leak.

Edited by feb

Miles

The boot is very common, Thanks to having 2 internal drain's to let the water in, Good idea that one, Check the boot panel which means badges off and some sealent behind it

TaffyTim

thanks all ill have a look at thoes points on the weekend.

Previous threads have said that new rear quarter seals are £40 each so I'd rather try and avoid that expense before christmas, although ill put it on my to do list.

Simes

I bought new rear passenger window seals a couple of years back - expensive but certainly more effective than pissing around with silicone sealer and my car doesn't smell of mould :)

TaffyTim
I bought new rear passenger window seals a couple of years back - expensive but certainly more effective than pissing around with silicone sealer and my car doesn't smell of mould :P

Your right, if the job is worth doing then its worth doing well. Ive put an order in with my local dealer. Its costing about £90 for the pair :(:)^_^:(

TaffyTim

card came off and no water on driver side :unsure:

Snapped 5 of the plastic holding plugs :(

For pasenger side I just took the air vent grate off and poped my hand inside to save snpping more plugs. No water here either :(

New plugs on order from peugeot :(

Bonzai

i think id better check this too, i noticed the seatbelt was sopping wet t'other day

TaffyTim

Lift your rear seats up, you'll most prob find a big pool of water under there. Or when there is water flowing over the window (rain or hosepipe) see if its trickelling onto the belt.

B1LLY

ive noticed my seat belt is wet sometimes so where is the water coming in from to make it wet

Wildebeest

I thinkI'd better check mine too, the carpets in the right rear footwell are damp.

Edited by 205309407

B1LLY
I thinkI'd better check mine too, the carpets in the right rear footwell are damp.

just noticed mine is too ;)

Gibbo GTI

I've been having the same probs recently. Whilst at work I removed the passenger rear card last night and the space between the bodywork and the frame the card fastens too was swimming in water. I dried it all up, removed the window seal as there was a small amount coming through and resealed it with silicoset. Happy with finding the leak, I left the card off and drove home (15 mins) in a heavy downpoor. When I got home I checked the recess again and there was a significant amount of water in there again ;) There was definately no water coming through the seal anymore. I dried all the water up again, seemed to be coming in between the bodywork and the wheel arch so i cleaned the area and plastered it in silicoset. No sign of anymore leaks after driving in the rain this afternoon :P Hope it stays that way

TaffyTim

Fitted new rear quarter window seals today and there is a very large size difference to the old ones.

On first fitting they looked as if there was 10cm too much of the seal, but on 2nd fitting they did go on, just had to be really generous with it.

I have also taken the boot lock out and refitted it with lots of sealant. The rubber seal had totally disintergrated so i think that may have been a major factor in my leak.

On refitting the lock I didnt replace the central locking bar. I then spent about half an hour trying from all angles to get it back on when the lock was in place. I failed, does anyone have a tip for getting this on?

Sign in to follow this