• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

Hengst Fuel Filters - Good Quality Not

jim21070

For a week or more now I have been battling a cold start problem on the 205D. After an overnight stop it was far from happy to start. At all other times it would start instantly.

After new glowplugs, a new glowplug controller and a reseal of the pump (it was weeping diesel around the throttle spindle) it was no better..

All the signs were that diesel was seeping out of the supply line back to the tank overnight and this I proved by putting a clear length of hose between the pump and the fuel filter.

I looked at the fuel filter and found that the pattern Hengst fuel filter I fitted about four months ago was swollen and distorted out of shape. It is of a plastic construction rather than the more familiar metal of these filters. It looks very much like the plastic is not diesel resistant as it had swollen so much it was almost impossible to remove and it had pushed the filter element out through the bottom. The two pictures below show the distortion and swelling. I just hope it has not cracked the filter housing.

The distortion had the effect of pushing up the lid of the filter housing and allowing air in.

What is most worrying is this filter is only about 900 miles old ;)

So, if you have any of these in use, change 'em quick. If you are offered one, refuse it.

I also have Hengst oil filters on my fleet. They're going very soon too.

The examples I had came from ECP who always used to supply Purflux.

The pictures show the old one on the right and a brand new example on the left for comparison.

Worrying. The car now has a traditional metal type fitted.

post-5512-1163869371_thumb.jpg

post-5512-1163869387_thumb.jpg

Rippthrough

I'd tell ECP as they are obviously not fit for the job they sold them for, might at least stop them restocking them.

jim21070
I'd tell ECP as they are obviously not fit for the job they sold them for, might at least stop them restocking them.

Yes, I will do that. It'll be interesting to see the response.

hengti

that seems very poor - if the plastic construction proves to be the reason behind the failure, it seems unbelievable that they should have been so designed

i'm using ECP supplied Hengst oil filters and haven't noticed any ill effects - would prefer to be using Perflux for peace of mind though. Do GSF still supply Perflux?

jim21070
Do GSF still supply Perflux?

The last stock of oil filters I received from GSF were Mecafilter Lautrette. Not a name I've seen before. Sounds very French...

Not used them yet though but they look OK and do have a non-return valve in them.

Miles

Only Pug sell the filter's now, GSF and ECP just source from the cheapest source when buying new batches, I'd buy a job lot of filters from pug and you should get a discount, Work's out slightly more expensive but worth it

boombang

Ditto, I buy 10's of Purflex filters for somewhere around £2.40ish each (including VAT).

hengti
Ditto, I buy 10's of Purflex filters for somewhere around £2.40ish each (including VAT).

Is that from a Peugeot dealer?

They were the best part of a tenner each last time I checked with my local dealer. ;)

boombang

That's not from a dealer - its from a very good supplier I use occassionally for service items and some parts.

I don't think they have any left at that price, but I do still have 9 or so in my garage :)

Super Josh
This thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...&hl=Purflex

give this number:

T12057

which according to the gsf site:

T12057 OIL FILTER-PEUGEOT BOXED PARTNER ALL >BC8240 5.25

:)

The last time I used that number GSF supplied me with a Purflux filter and it came in a Citroen box :)

Josh

jim21070

Whilst I appreciate this thread has gone a little OT recently, I thought an update would be in order :P

It now seems that there is a good chance that the filter is a counterfiet. I contacted ECP and spoke at length to their sales people who were genuinely interested and stated it was the first complaint they have ever received concerning Hengst fuel filters and would I please furnish them with more details via e-mail.

I received a response today which contained an exchange of correspondence between ECP and Hengst. Both companies are most interested and the duff filter is now required for examination by Hengst.

I was well impressed that two big concerns like ECP and Hengst and happy to listen to me, just an average DIY motorist, and take some action.

Top marks to ECP for their Customer Service ;)B)

jackherer

I read your post on another forum (frenchcarforum maybe?) as it happens... I suspect you have dropped ECP in the s*it with Hengst :P and rightly so if they were selling counterfeit stuff ;)

Sign in to follow this