• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gtautotech

1.9 Gti Rebuild Planning Twin Carbs & Piper 285 Cam

Gtautotech

I have a 1.9 gti that i plan to rebuild, I've already got my 285 piper camshaft, and want some info on what type of Twin 45's to buy and ideal sizes of main jets & Chokes to order them with as i will be buying brand new carbs

And ive heard you should skim the head to increase the compression ratio, But how much

Any info greatfully received

vince

I've got that in mind too, just curious about the consumption, how thirsty is the car with such a modification?

vince

205mattgti

i am running webber twin 45s dcoe on my 1.9 8v with some mods

Carbs can be a little thirsty, it all depends how u drive it

lol

Gtautotech

205mattgti - What jets and chokes you running and what sort of bhp you getting

Gtautotech

Matt if your only in salisbury i wouldn't mind meeting up to have a look at yours to make my mind up what to do

If you fancy it!

shine

Hi.

I have twin 45 DCOE on my 8v. PT27 cam and cr 11:1. Cousumption is about 1 to 1,2 litre per 10 km on ordinary road driving, BUT on track it can be way more. Last race, 40 rounds of 1900meters (qualifying and 2 races), was about 35 liters.

My jets works well both on track and on road driving, (a bit rich in top end.)

Chokes 36mm

low 60F8

Acc 45

Air 155

Main 165 (could go down one step if main use is road)

Had prev 40mm chokes but some struggeling at low rpm, and only 1 to 3 more bhp at top end. Response during whole powerband is much better with 36 ones.

Good luck with rebuild, I prommisse You would love the sound.

Espen

Gtautotech

First thing i need to do is get my bottom end and crank checked to see if itcan be reground or not, fingers crossed it can

205mattgti
Matt if your only in salisbury i wouldn't mind meeting up to have a look at yours to make my mind up what to do

If you fancy it!

i would have to look up which choke sizes etc am using

on the last rr i had done it came in at 154 bhp with 148 ft lb or torque

pm sent about meeting up

richystran

i had my 205 running on twin 45's with a gas flowed head and a kent cam and had 150.5 bhp. Not sure about choks etc

ashley peddle

just see it as smiles per gallon (as you wont get many miles)

205mattgti
just see it as smiles per gallon (as you wont get many miles)

lol

thats very true

Gtautotech when u wanna meet up

Edited by 205mattgti

Dino

Do yourself a favour and get some TBs on there.

My mate has twin 45s on his and he is forever tweaking them. The car runs differently day to day.

Pain in the butt.

Edited by Dino

205mattgti

my carbs arnt to bad, i have only had them set up again once the new engine was run in

otherwise apart from the huge fuel bill, they have been ok

Guest justinhincks87

when you say you have 150 bhp. do you mean at the wheels or flywheel?

Brambles
Do yourself a favour and get some TBs on there.

My mate has twin 45s on his and he is forever tweaking them. The car runs differently day to day.

Pain in the butt.

For what its worth I had 45 webbers with a longman inlet manifold on my 205 Mi16 and spent quite a bit of time changing chokes, jets, air correctors etc, which got a bit expensive.

To be fair I never got it set up on a rolling road except when i went down to Emerald to get one of there M3D Ecu's and a set of Jenvey throttle bodies.

Once on the roling road I found out what I had suspected that it was running at around 10:1 Air fuel ratio and only leaned out (11.5:1!), at the top end eventually produsing 167 Bhp at 7186 rpm.

I got the Webbers thinking it was the cheaper otion over Tb's and mappable Ecu but I personally think it would have been better to have started of with Tb's etc.

Malachy
Once on the roling road I found out what I had suspected that it was running at around 10:1 Air fuel ratio and only leaned out (11.5:1!), at the top end eventually produsing 167 Bhp at 7186 rpm.

you are the man responsible for this "climate change" then :)

as said above really i would never run carbs purely on the basis that with fuel injection you have so much more refinement, its setup for optimal warmup optimal fuel economy at cruising sites and then at high load peak power, you cant do this with carbs (well not easily) and its always a sacrifice or common ground between them.

im currently changing a jensen healey (2l 16v lotus engine with twin dellortos) of mine over to fuel injection along with a spartan kit car (based on a triumph spitfire) mainly for these reasons and the fact i seem to have got an addiction to megasquirt :P

Edited by Malachy

Sign in to follow this