• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blackpug

1.6 Wont Idle

blackpug

Hi,

i've recently bought a 1.6 gti, and it will not idle at all unless hot. When it's cold it runs on 3 cylinders (i think it's the no.4 cyl) but when revved over bout 2.5k runs well. I've had look at the afm and all seems ok, but there was oil in some of the plug bores so i cleaned that out and there's no difference.

There's a few different things from standard but these havent made any difference from when i had the car -

ie the servo brake takeoff, SAD supply and oil breathers have been taken off the intake (breather's got it's own filter as has the SAD intake).

Can anyone shed any light on this? I've tried searching on here but cant find anything (could be just me though :wub: )

Cheers,

Ad.

sonofsam

Yep, it's definately you ;)Here is the result of a search on 'idle' .Limited to the first 1000 results that is!

Happy hunting :wub:

p.s. make sure you selct search 'all forums' creates a big blue bar on the selected target, you cant miss it!

blackpug

I had seen them before, but nearly all of them were about idle probs when warm or the car would idle fine when warm - my car will only just about remain running when it's hot (ie when the fan has cut in).

Shoudnt the SAD valve not do anything when the engine's warm? My plans are to remove it completely anyway as i wont be needing it for road rallying.

Guest srack
I had seen them before, but nearly all of them were about idle probs when warm or the car would idle fine when warm - my car will only just about remain running when it's hot (ie when the fan has cut in).

Shoudnt the SAD valve not do anything when the engine's warm? My plans are to remove it completely anyway as i wont be needing it for road rallying.

your sad sensor could be defective, im not sure what you ment about the sad inside the breather?!

but the sad sensor (we call it "good morning" sensor over here at israel).

this is incharge for idle as well after the start, if you're having a startup problems, check the water temp unit as well (behind the distributor), check all the vacoum hoses (forgive my english, i aint localy), those should make you some problems with idle as well, they can be cracked, (check the 2 that goes to the SAD sensor as well)

give us an answer about it.

also, the AFM has a carbon line inside, if this line is already scratched (under the 2 pins) it can cause idle problems as well. check it.

Grim.Badger

First thing I'd try is putting all the pipes back to how they should be, it sound like your SAD may not be connected, and if the breather system isn't connected right the car will idle very badly.

blackpug

Hmm, but i know of 2 205's that dont have sad valves but will idle fine once warm. It's more the missfire at low revs but not at high that i'm confused about, as this may cause the poor idling.

Just to clarify, the hoses not on the intake are:

servo assist takeoff - all sealed up.

rocker cover breather - removed and has it's own filter

sad valve supply - has it's own filter also.

(rocker and breather supplies on intake have been removed/blocked)

Grim.Badger

Well yes it should idle fine when hot without the SAD, but it will make your cold idle rubbish without it.

The rocker cover breather is meant to attach to the sump, not the intake, so I'm not sure what's disconnected, I think maybe the vacuum thing (sorry forgot it's name) on the dizzy.

The pipe that runs from the SAD to the intake feeds air into the intake, rather than air into the SAD which if I understand you right is the way around you said :unsure:

Check out these

SAD

Breathers

Sign in to follow this