• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
roland rat

Which Is Easier To Fit?

roland rat

before anybody has a go at me YES ive done a search but its confused me so much about which engine to fit!!!ive got a 93' 1.9gti running motronic 1.3 atm and im planning an engine swap over the winter.all i want to know is which out of the two engines is going to be easier to fit?any help is greatly apperaciated as i just want to get it done!!! :o

cheers ash

Daxed

Keep an open mind and wait for the right engine.

If nothing right turns up or you can't be assed to wait then go the S16 GTI-6 route. Lower mileage and with the right one you can get away with either a transplant or just the timing belt, water pump and followers.

But if a sweet rebuilt MI pops into view..................................

roland rat
Keep an open mind and wait for the right engine.

If nothing right turns up or you can't be assed to wait then go the S16 GTI-6 route. Lower mileage and with the right one you can get away with either a transplant or just the timing belt, water pump and followers.

But if a sweet rebuilt MI pops into view..................................

thing is ive been offered both.i know of a s16 car that i acn have for v.little money and im waiting to hear back from 2 people with good mi's!im not great with the electrical side of mechanics so i want the easiest option :o

Daxed

Dunno then - will bow out and wait for people to come along who have fitted both.

I would still go for which engine was the best/value for me.

So much help available on here that you will get either route sorted out. Pick the best solution for your needs.

pug_ham

Obviously the easiest is whatever needs the least modification to make it fit in the 205 bay. Which inlet are you going to use? Mi on Mi & S16 on S16?

Both engines will run on the M1.3 system but you might need to add a wire for the ICV inplace of the SAD & move the ecu plug pins to suit.

Mi needs the radiator cowl modifiing to use the inlet & I'm sure the S16 also needs some modifiing to the rad cowl, slam panel & cambelt cover to clear the MC due to the extra height of the block.

Graham.

roland rat
Obviously the easiest is whatever needs the least modification to make it fit in the 205 bay. Which inlet are you going to use? Mi on Mi & S16 on S16?

Graham.

most prob buy shorted inlet mainfold and exhaust angle plate when i fit it.i just want the engine in and running asap!

ash

welshpug

dont do it man! yours is a mint late Miami that would be shame to spoil!

buy a tattier one with a dead engine and stick a valver in that!

roland rat
dont do it man! yours is a mint late Miami that would be shame to spoil!

buy a tattier one with a dead engine and stick a valver in that!

i really want a quick 205 and its got to be miami blue!!!spend over a year looking for mine and tbh it aint perfect and it needs some tlc so nows the time to restore it back to its best but slightly improved with an 16v in it!!! :D:o:D

jonnie205

Alloy block mi16 a much nicer engine than the s16. A much more willing engine and they are faster too + lighter. Motronic 8v's are good too tho

Miles

I'd say the S16 engine is easier to fit, No exhaust manifold problems, Fits striaght in to std downpipe, The std inlet clears too, But I would ditch this for the 1.9 one myself as it wroks well,

I prefer the 2l, a nice 86x86 more torque and seem to be more refined at high rev's

boldy205

not to good on the wiring you say? rip it off and stick some carbs on either engine, no probs with either wiring or inlet/radiator clearence. (roar!) :wub:

roland rat
not to good on the wiring you say? rip it off and stick some carbs on either engine, no probs with either wiring or inlet/radiator clearence. (roar!) :wub:

i like your thinking but funds dont allow that type of set up ;)

jonand
before anybody has a go at me YES ive done a search but its confused me so much about which engine to fit!!!ive got a 93' 1.9gti running motronic 1.3 atm and im planning an engine swap over the winter.all i want to know is which out of the two engines is going to be easier to fit?any help is greatly apperaciated as i just want to get it done!!! :wub:

cheers ash

I've done both in my grass racer and didn't find too much difference in complexity. The motronic 3.2 used in the S16 is arguably the better (more sophisticated ) system than the 4.1 in the 1.9 Mi, but you need a lamda sensor in the exhaust, and be careful if you have a S16 with a keypad otherwise the ECU will be locked out. Ive had issues with both engines, but on balance I would go the S16 route, particularly as you have accces to the whole car.

Good Luck

Jon

Sign in to follow this