• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGugly

Gti 6 Brake's Time To Overhaul!

PUGugly

I bought a set of GTi 6 calipers and discs of e-bay bout a year ago and boy are they good!! :D

Stop the car a treat and you have to drive like complete loon for ages before the fade starts to set in! But.... and theres always a but! They starting to look very tatty! :D The guy I bought them off painted them in several thick layers of Hammerite silver (or something similar) and they look well s*itty now, with flakes coming off and bits of rust showing through. As the cars off the road for winter I want to strip them and repaint them red. I started sanding them with some real course wet and dry but after half an hour of lots of rubbing and not a lot happening I've got well p'd off. :o Considering bits are flaking off the rest is really well stuck on. So to the real point!

Can I get em sandblasted safely? This will mean removing the pistons and rubber seals to avoid damage, Can this be done? Can replacement seals be found? Had a look around and can't find any listed. Can I get away with using red hammerite again or am I better of getting prop caliper paint? Don't want to end up killing my lovely brakes!!

Daxed

Re-build kits readily available - just bought a set today.

Speak to Sarah at big red caliprs and check out their website.

Don't think the GTI-6 is listed their but she does the kits and axle set for under £30.

Mine wern't painted and the rust on the callipers was abysmal. Needed blasting to cut it back. More importantly the pistons or bores had no sign of rust or imperfections, so a re-build kit and some rattle cans will do the job nicely......well for 12 months or so

PUGugly
Re-build kits readily available - just bought a set today.

Speak to Sarah at big red caliprs and check out their website.

Don't think the GTI-6 is listed their but she does the kits and axle set for under £30.

Mine wern't painted and the rust on the callipers was abysmal. Needed blasting to cut it back. More importantly the pistons or bores had no sign of rust or imperfections, so a re-build kit and some rattle cans will do the job nicely......well for 12 months or so

Will contact her tommorrow! Cheers mate, :D whats included in the kit pls mate?

Any advice on doing the job. don't want to screw it up and I never stripped a caliper before... Brake rebuild virgin!!! :o

Rattle can? What the Hammerite ones? Don't suppose cellulose will take the heat will it??

PUGugly

Managed to find a main dealer rebuild kit (thanks Dino :o )

Just the painting issue now and any advice on the rebuild pls lads and lasses!!

welshpug

engine laquer! you can get it in tins from motorworld for not much more than a fiver, plenty in there too, did a Diesel Ibiza engine in 3 coats and still had half a tin left! and 3 years on it still looks as good as it did :o

the other stuff i've used is VHT paint in a 700 ml rattle can, 1000 degrees resistant and loos good, but is pretty thin so you have to use a fair bit, I used it on my DTurbo's brakes, though I dont know how well it lasted as it was written off 6 months later :D

also muchos cheaper than the stuff sold as brake paint, its the same stuff!!

Rippthrough

Hammerite + clear engine laquer is great.

PUGugly
Hammerite + clear engine laquer is great.

Sounds Good , as does Welsh's idea. Will stay clear of VHT paint, could of been cause of the crash!! LOL :o

Super Josh

I used a wire brush mounted on the end of a 4.5" angle grinder. That soon got the rust off :P No need to worry about protecting the bores like you would with sand blasting. Then I used an airline to pop the piston out, cleaned up the inside, fitted the new seals, slap on some brake fluid to lube it up and then refit it back together.

Josh

Sign in to follow this