• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

Choosing Spark Plugs?

Dixon

The standard spark plugs in my 205 (Xsara VTS engine) are NGK BKR6EZ

I need some colder plugs as these ones are getting too hot when I'm on track.

So am I correct with the following thinking on what to get?...

BK part has to stay the same as that dictates the thread type?

R part has to stay the same as that dictates that it's a resistor type?

6 needs to go up to a 7 or 8 for a cooler plug?

E part has to stay the same as that dictates the thread reach?

Which leaves the last letter (Z) which according to the NGK table stands for "Thick 2.9mm centre electrode with extra protection"

The options I have with a 7+ rating according to spark-plugs.co.uk are as follows.

BKR7E...................£2.06

BKR7E11...............£2.06

BKR7E-11..............£2.06

BKR7EIX................£5.81

BKR7EIX11............£8.14

BKR7EIX-11...........£8.14

BKR7EKC...............£3.23

BKR7EKCN ...........£3.64

BKR7EKC-N ..........£3.64

BKR7EVX..............£6.53

BKR8EIX ...............£5.81

BKR9EIX................£5.81

Which doesn't give me a 'Z' option.

The 'IX' are the iridium type, are these worth twice the money?

If not which of the others do I need?

The ones with '11' in the code means a spark gap of 1.1mm but I need 0.9mm, how do I know what the spark gap is on the others?

Or does it not matter and I set that when I get them?

KC = 2 ground electrodes

IX = Fine wire Iridium centre electrode-0.6mm

VX = Fine wire platinum centre electrode-0.8mm

N = Strong ground electrode design

I'm guessing too that the BKR7E with no other letters is just a straight forward single electrode?

Which option would people recommend?

All that information has been obtained from this table by the way...

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/ngkjpg.htm

Cheers,

Dixon.

Faz85

If i remember rightly Dixon, My 205 had cooler plugs due to the CAT, which were BCPR6ES. When I got rid of the CAT, I used hotter plugs; BCPR7ES, which suggests a lower number for a cooler plug.

From that list I would go for

BKR7E...................£2.06

or

BKR7EKCN ...........£3.64

BKR7EKC-N ..........£3.64

However you may want to pay the extra for Iridium plugs since they are for track use, and they are more efficient at dissipating heat.

But I would check the numbers again, as Im pretty sure a lower number signifies a cooler plug...but i could be wrong!

Faraz

Edited by Faz85

Dixon

I'm gonna give the BKR7E's a try I think as the engine isn't modified as such, just gets more of a sustained high rev hammering being on a race circuit rather than roads.

The higher the number the cooler the plugs run, they disperse the heat quicker.

James_R

Just wondering how you know the plugs are over heating? do they look melted at all??

I had BCR8ES's in my high comp hybrid engine, but think I'll just run 7's this time.

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/ngkjpg.htm

that's it explained. BC and BK's are the same thread type, wierd :s

As for iridiums, I've never seen the benifit of them over std type plugs set up correctly.

See you at cadwell ;)

Dixon

Don't know for certain that the plugs are over heating but I'm getting a missfire towards the end of sessions on warm track days which points towards something like the plugs and as they are quite cheap and not been changed in the time I've had the engine they're worth changing anyway.

Really impressed with spark-plugs.co.uk too, I ordered the plugs online yesterday afternoon and they turned up recorded delivery at 8 thismorning!

Will find out if they work well in just over a week!

See you there.

Edited by Dixon

PumaRacing

With Bosch and Champion plugs - Large number = Hot plug, Small number = cold plug

With NGK it's the other way round.

johnrobertgordon

I'm running standard NGK plugs in my turbo 2.0. I pulled them out of my standard 1.9 8v as they were brand new and it saved nipping out to buy new ones. Now I have decided to fit cooler plugs as I have been informed that the ones I am running will be way too hot.

So, I just went to the NGK website and it recomended BKR6EZ. Thats quite a hot plug is it not? Should I go for 7's?

John

Edited by johnrobertgordon

johnrobertgordon

went for NGK irridiums. Only got irridiums because it sounds cooler. Got 7 rated plugs.

Dixon
So, I just went to the NGK website and it recomended BKR6EZ. Thats quite a hot plug is it not? Should I go for 7's?

Yeah the 7's will run cooler than 6's. I'd go with that.

Just out of info for anyone reading the whole topic, the cooler plugs didn't sort my problem. Think it's just getting generally too hot under the hood, so going to remove headlights and cut some holes etc to get more air through the bay and move the air filter and hope that cures the misfire.

Guest markiboy2007

i've always used NGK's, of many different varieties, and never had any reason to go with another brand!

Neosophist

This is interesting as I also have the XU7 JP4 in my PH3 306 and replaced the plugs today with BKR6EZ

The previous plugs were Bosch Super R6.089 #FR8LDC - They have 2 electrodes and are a lovely light brown honey colour so i'm guessing they were running right but couldn't find another set of these plugs anywhere. ;)

I feel like im neglecting the engine giving it standard single electrode £1.35 plugs, Ah well.

Ren

Slightly off topic but I used the website mentioned on the 1st page last week and was impressed by them as well. Did a bit of shopping around and they were the cheapest I could find the plugs for, ordered them at 3pm and they were on my door the following morning with just standard first class post.

Ren.

Sign in to follow this