• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Mi Stretch Head Bolts.....

Guest rick03054

For the price of them is it really worth reusing stretch bolts? The onus being on the fact that they stretch.

acox99

are they all stretch bolts?, how can you tell?, is it just the bolts that bolt the head onto the block? how much are they from pug or can you get them anywhere else?

Edited by acox99

Guest rick03054

Yes head bolts anyway, what other bolts do you mean? I'm not 100% about Mi ones but 8v ones are about £15.

Higgy

Get them from QEP.

I am pretty sure that all the ones you usally buy are stretch bolts. On final 270 deg torque you can feel them yielding.

DONT reuse them, I did and the very first bolt I started to do the 270 deg tightening, snapped.

Its not worth the hassle.

Higgy.

Miles

As said for the money £15.00 ish from GSF it's not worth using old ones, Main thing is hoping the threads don't strip in the block

jonand
as above. cheers

I believe the 1.9 and 2.0 torque procedures are different. I have re-used the iron block (2.0) Mi bolts without a problem, and the Haynes manual says it can be done provided they have not exceeded 122mm (from memory). Wouldn't disagree that its better to use new ones though, although its just as important to make sure the block and bolts are proerly prepared i.e. clean and lubricated but no oil sitting in the base of the block tappings. DJmini is selling some new ones in the for sale section I believe.

Cheers

Jon

Rob_the_Sparky

Removing a snapped bolt is such a nasty job that is just isn't worth the risk of reusing them.

jonand
Removing a snapped bolt is such a nasty job that is just isn't worth the risk of reusing them.

Agreed

dee205

If you've ever looked at a used bolt compared to a new one you wouldn't use it.

And as said, for the value of them would you want to risk fecking the block up?

Damien

Sign in to follow this