• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Track Rod End Balljoint Spinning

Mike Walker

I'm just trying to fit a new track rod end (Q-Drive one from Euro Car Parts) but when I try to do the nylon locking nut up on the ball joint bit the whole threaded bit just spins. This means that I can't even do the nut up past the nylon bit and can't see any way that you could hold the threaded bit to stop it spinning :)

I've had a look at the old one that I took off that was shagged and that also spins in its housing so i'm just wondering whether I have two faulty track rod ends - one of them being brand new or if i'm missing a trick?

smighall

Put a jack under neath it and force it up a little.

That or check if there is a hex thread on the top of the stud.

hengti

mate - they're a taper fit into the hub - you just need to push it up into the hub (try a trolley jack - or a knee!)

ed. beaten

Edited by hengti

Edd-XS

Ive often had to jack the car completely up, just resting on the bottom of the ball joint and take it slow just to get the nut on! course you could always buy a new set of nuts, usually works lol

Edd

Mike Walker

Piss and s*it :huh:

I just assumed that because the one on the other side has been off and on twice now and never needed that 'treatment' that the new one was faulty :o

So, erm I pulled the rubber bit off the new one out of curiosity and probably lost some grease in the process, when I go to put it back together shall I just repack it with all purpose grease? (feel like a right tw*t!)

Ahl

Bog standard grease should be fine on a part like that.

GLPoomobile

And if you missed this weeks thrilling episode of 'Can't fit my new track rod ends', tune in for the repeat next month. Same time, same place :P:D;)

GLPoomobile

Sorry ;)

Edited by GLPoomobile

Mike Walker
Sorry ;)

No worries, gave me a giggle :P

Sign in to follow this