• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Timing Belt Tensioner - Spring Loaded 8v Type

GLPoomobile

I eventually got my new tensioner from GSF (some of you might remember my rant about them cocking this up :) before the topic got removed).

The replacement is just the tensioner roller, so I wondered if it is advisable to replace the spring as well (and if so why is it not supplied as part of the tensioner?). The spring seemed pretty good last time I had the mechanism apart (a few months and a few hundred miles ago), or at least it put up a fair struggle going back together :ph34r:

If I need to replace the spring is there anywhere I can get one cheap? Had a look on Neat but none listed.

hengti

i couldn't get one anywhere last time i did the tensioner on mine.

Peugeot have apparently stopped supplying them and i couldn't find anyone who did pattern ones (not that that'd necessarily have been a good idea).

i thought it quite surprising - as it obviously provides the tension - so i'd have thought it a critical component and one that should be renewed.

maybe they're not known to fail and don't need replacement - ?

mine's still there as far as i know and hasn't caused any problems after 208k miles.

would be interested in knowing if anyone can still supply the genuine part

Guest rick03054

I got one from pug a couple of months back. Mine was a bit tired and not giving the full whack to the tensioner, so didn't push far enough out and messed with my timing, really screwed me up cos I didn't notice and couldn't work out why the holes didn't line up.

I replaced it because it cost pennies, but I'm still not 100% convinced it makes that much difference. You can just lever the tensioner to where it has to go and then the spring can't have any effect after when you tighten it all up?

hengti

maybe my dealer was being 'special' then; has been known

if it's still available, i'd deffo replace it with a genuine part, if only for peace of mind.

Edited by hengti

Sign in to follow this