• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Low Oil Pressure At Idle

driversdomainuk

Hi

Since having the bottom end rebuilt new rings, reground crank, main and big end bearings & oil pump I have noticed that oil pressure is up around 75%, which drops to around ½ when warm. However, I am still noticing the pressure drops just above the red when at idle when warm. Is this a problem? As it runs really well and no longer sicks up oil like it used to (not at all now) if its any use, the gauge sometimes does not work and other times jumps all over the place although this low pressure is consistently low at idle.

I am changing the cam soon from the original one which has been in the car since new perhaps this needs changing (springs and all) to further increase the pressure..?

Dino

Sounds perfectly normal to be honest.

Oil pressure will be medium to high on idle when cold and should drop when warm.

driversdomainuk

what sort of gauge reading would the car have produced when new..?

Guest srack
what sort of gauge reading would the car have produced when new..?

mine when it is cold goes all the way to 6bar, drops to 3.5 on mid, and on idle when worm can stand on the 0.

it can be the oil pressure sensor. it is sitting under the manifold, used onces can be found for almost free.

new cost too much.

try to put an out side gauge, to check if the readings are correct.

mos

did you renew the spring and plunger in the oil pump when you rebuilt it?

the parts are less than £10 and it can make a big difference

vince

I'm not too sure changing the cam won't change anything, but...

your readings seems normal, I've 1/4th at idle and half when reving it up, on a stock 1.6L gti

vince

Sign in to follow this