• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BERTMAN

Engine Bay And Front Panel Repsray

BERTMAN

ive got the usual little bit of rust behind the lights on the front panel and also have some in the engine bay, nothin too major and was wondering how much roughly it would cost at a bodyshop for it to be all sanded down and resprayed... maybe not even in the origional Steel grey... would black be cheaper?

Cheers

Lee

Alastairh

Well if your gonna do it, you might aswell do it proper being Steel Grey.

Depends if your removing the engine, front bumper etc.

If not then would of thought could push a grand really.

if so, what £3-£400? if its only surface rust and not needing wholes doing etc.

Alastair

t16ryan

Do it yourself if no welding is needed,

vern

I am just doing this to my car, the Labour costs would be quite expensive as it can take a while to strip the engine bay etc, I would say it took me 12 - 15 hours to strip, and a similiar time to prep and paint and I would guess (as only finished spraying mine at weekend) at the same again to rebuild.

Once you start in the engine bay it can be like openning a can of worms, I thought mine was ok with hardly any rust, but found loads of little bits, (every spot weld, under brake resovoir and like you say around headlight panel).

Also consider the back of the headlight panel in the wheel arch, as this was bad on mine and needed a lot of time to clear away the old stone chip etc as it was rusty underneath.

BERTMAN

its just a shell at the minute on axle stands, and was just planning on bolting the suspension back on and putting it on a trailer to get it to a bodyshop, ive had a go but when it comes to things like this im just crap lol, there is a little bit of rust on places like on the chassis rails, and by where the jack sits but its nothing too major...

smckeown

well now is the perfect time to do the work yourself. If you use the right products you can transform it yoursef for peanuts:

Before:

gavs%20ns%20wing%20-%20before.jpg

gavs%20os%20wing%20-%20before.jpg

After:

gavs%20ns%20wing%20-%20after.jpg

gavs%20os%20wing%20-%20after.jpg

BERTMAN

what did you use to get through all the rust and that? no matter what stuff i use it still leaves dimples in some areas with rust in them and i cant get rid...

smckeown

3m paint remover wheel and metal ready for rust treatment, then etch primer and paint

James_m

I did the same as smkeown and it didnt work at all ;) the rust was building under the paint literally the next week. Next time im going to take as much rust away as possible then paint with red oxide.

B1ack_Mi16
I did the same as smkeown and it didnt work at all :o the rust was building under the paint literally the next week. Next time im going to take as much rust away as possible then paint with red oxide.

Start sandblasting :D

BERTMAN

how easy isit to do with a sandblaster?... i dont even know what one looks like nevermind how to use one!!

B1ack_Mi16
how easy isit to do with a sandblaster?... i dont even know what one looks like nevermind how to use one!!

It's just an air-pressure gun that draws sand from a bucket, then shoots it onto wherever you point the gun ;)

I transformed my rusty underside of the car from this:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0753.jpg

To this:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0853.jpg

and..

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG0926.jpg :wub:

vince

sand blasting is the only way to go with rust. except if you have pits the it gets more tricky.

let's say you don't have any pits but just surface corrosion, then you sandblast everything, you may need different grade of abrasive something coarse to get the paint off and do some sort of finishing with microballs, once the metal is bare you have to use a phosphating primer to inhibit the rust (from starting again), then normal primer and paint.

you can do everything yourself, just request a lots of time, money, room... as for everything.

I did that on my bike's engine casings, except that I polished them instead of painting and it's real fun...

vince

BERTMAN

cheers, i went down to my local tool hire store and its nearly £100 to hire the stuff out for a day, 1 question, how much grit will i need to do an engine bay and the front panel?

roland rat
cheers, i went down to my local tool hire store and its nearly £100 to hire the stuff out for a day, 1 question, how much grit will i need to do an engine bay and the front panel?

have you checked the yellow pages?in my local one theres mobile shot/sand blasters.surely this would be easier /safer than doing it yourself?planning to get them out to do my engine bay and alloys when i start my engine conversion

BERTMAN
have you checked the yellow pages?in my local one theres mobile shot/sand blasters.surely this would be easier /safer than doing it yourself?planning to get them out to do my engine bay and alloys when i start my engine conversion

i didnt think of that!!, id much rather someone else did it so will look into that cheers

Sign in to follow this