• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clifton

Wont Start

clifton

if anyone can help me i have a problem, my car wont start, it has been stood for a while and all the lights work and everything.

i have checked the battery so its not that but it doesnt turn over or anything, does anyone know what it mite be, i think it may be the starter motor but im not sure?

cheers ben

smighall

Connect eh starter solenoid straight to the battery. May well be the brown connector in the engine bay as the terminals get rusty. If the starter work when connected straight up, you have a wiring problem.

clifton

this will probably sound stupid but where about is the starter motor on a 205 as its the first one ive had ad not done any work on any in the past?

Faz85

the starter motor is below the inlet manifold, on the right hand side of the block, next to the gearbox.

peter

It is directly under the inlet manifold, bit of a pain to get to on a standard car,If it seems to stick or just click try hitting it with a hammer :lol:

beaten to it!! lol

Edited by peter

Faz85

If the starter doesnt turn over when connected directly to the battery, it could be a bad earth connection. I would check the condition of the wires and make sure it is earthed properly.

Faraz

clifton

it has the wrong type of battery on at the moment, so the connecters are just bodged onto the terminalts at the moment lol could that have anything to do with it or not? im gettin the right battery on tuesday from work so i will try it then before i do anything else to it?

Guest BrainFluid

Sounds more like your battery is deadish. It's holding enough charge to light lights but not enough to crank her over.

Wang a fully charged battery on her and I bet she starts mate.

clifton

last nite i put the battery on charge over night and then checked it and was pretty much fully charged and it still didnt start, so i dont know what it could be, my first thought was the battery, but ill still get the correct one when i go back to work and try it out then, if not what else could it be?

cheers

Faz85

You would be surprised just how much juice it takes to fire up an engine...if you have the wrong battery it wont matter if its fully charged, if it doesnt have the charge to crank the engine. It would be worth checking the battery first, and If its not the problem, i would check the wiring on the starter motor, make sure none of the connectors are corroded.

also, just a thought before you splash out on a new battery, get a set of jump leads and try jump starting it off another car. to be honest i doubt it is the battery, as even a small charge should be enough to at least juice up the solenoid into clicking...do you hear a clicking noise at all when you try and start?

Edited by Faz85

clifton

it needs a new battery anyway, ill try starting it tonight using a jump starter thing and no there isnt a clicking noise really but when i try start it there is like a quiet buzzing kind of noise, so is it my starter motor then, ill try hitting it with a hammer tonight and see if that free's it off, where are they on it because different people have told me different places?

mickie

its at the front of your engine, under the inlet manifold, to the right of you oil filter, to your left of your gearbox, but your radiator will be in the way and inlet manifold so it'll be hard to see also your engine is probably full of oil so it'll be even harder to see

clifton

which is the best way to get to the starter from the top or bottom?ive had a go at starting it tonight and nothing happend at all, no clicking at all and no quiet buzzing noise now! im really stumped at what it is as it started fine yesterday! should i get my mate to have a look because he's an auto technician or should i have another go myself?

cheers

mickie

tfj.jpg

thats your starter motor, take your radiator out and your battery, pull the little wire off the starter, it should just pull off..

then put your battery back on and the starter motor should jump into life

clifton

cheers a picture is worth a thousand words! that helps cheers, so i take the battery off and diconnect the wire on the starter and then touch it to the battery? if the starter works then what is it, dodgey wiring or what?

smighall

I'd say dodgy wiring, or dodgy barrel.

If it doesn't turn it's a shagged starter or crap earth.

mickie

yeah do that and if the starter then works its probably something to do with ya wires..

if you see this

ttrhstgg.jpg

pull it apart in and out a few times.. it could be that

clifton

does that wire come out from the starter motor and what is it plugged into? well ill take the radiator out sometime soon and then do all of that! cheers for the help

mickie

Photo-0066.jpg

yeah, a little wire comes from this block and onto the starter

Sign in to follow this