• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

Starting Issues

Enfield

Hello,

The car is a 205 1.8 TD and it won't bloody start lol!

I'll wait for the glow plugs to go out then turn the key and nothing happens, doesn't even cough. I got stuck in a carpark the other day, so I had to call out my dad to get him to bump it but it wouldn't go then some bloke approached us and gave me a hand pushing and it finally went.

I got it home and sprayed the solenoid with some contact cleaner and tried starting it up and it worked fine.

The problem started off when I started it one time and it made a crunching noise then after that it would take a couple turns of the key for it to fire up, then as a few days went by it would take a few more turns of the key to get it going.

Also when it fires up the battery light stays on till I press the throttle and last night whilst driving home at night I could see that the battery light was on very dimly.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Cheers

vince

check your elec connection between the battery, starter and alternator.

check your alternator voltage while the engine is turning (rev it up, should be 13V-ish).

clean your starter (remove it, open it, clean it)

if anything help, change your starter...

vince

wildejon

I've had the same in the past, turned out to be the battery, it didn't have enough juice to fully energise the solenoid, so it just crunched on and off instead. Not sure if its quite the same as yours as mine just got worse and then stopped until I replaced the battery...

Probably worth looking into.

Jon

Edited by wildejon

Sign in to follow this