• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edd-XS

Mot Issues With Mi

Edd-XS

Right as a a fair few of you will know Ive had my car off the road now for about 15 months while ive been doing it up. Its not seen an MOT in 2 years and alots changed to it since (see signiture!)

The other day I went to an MOT station and asked about getting an MOT done there and that I have an Mi engine fitted. The guy started going on about how the DVLA will need to do a full MOT check on it themselves at the nearest test centre, and how the brakes would need upgrading to fit in with the 'bhp to brake' ratio (news to me?!) and that It would need to go through som stringent tests to check for emissions!

Either way chucking it through an MOT suddenly sounds like its gonna be a shed load of hassle, and i have a feeling most places arent gonna like my ex-rally 4 point harnesses either...

Have many people had a mare trying to MOT their modded 205s and ideally, is there anywhere in the south east thats good for MOTing MI'd 205s?

Cheers guys!

Edd

huxley309

Sounds to me you tester is full of it, id promptly tell him where to shove it

So long as the brakes work as they should and are in balance they should be fine that hp talk is wrong

As for emissions 1.9mi's are pre cat anyway so i can't see how he can go more stringent on emissions but if it's healthy it should pass no problem and certainly nothing an Italian tune up cant sort :(

My engine passed emissions no problem and mines anything but standard

Edd-XS

yea I did question him about the 'braking force has to be re-calculated when power is uprated' malarky (even though it is a good thing to uprate the brakes obviously) but dont think he liked that!

I wish he'd just gone 'sorry mate I cant be assed', would of made things much simpler!

lol

Edd

Ryan

Standard brakes will be fine, emissions rules are exactly the same, and it certainly doesn't need an SVA test (I'm guessing that what he meant by "a full MOT check")

I'd find a new MOT place if that's the kind of crap they're going to come up with. It sounds like one of those places run by a bitter old guy who thinks anything modified or over 5yrs old is automatically a deathtrap and should be off the road.

inferno

mot testers dont like clever clogs... dont ever tell the tester how he should do his job. he obviously took you as questioning his work!

my tester loves it when i take big engine 205s down there, tells me im a twat and his civic is better! i just let him get on with it :(

to date the only issues hes pulled up with me is the steering rack when pulling all the pas gubbings off, he said the racks too heavy, even though i could reverse park with one hand with ease and called him a wimp, he refused to mot it! the next mot station down were happy to inspect my steering and find it passable! emisions should be no problem being a non cat test :)

Sandy

The 309GTi16S had the same brakes as the 1.9?

Edd-XS

I only questioned him after he starting coming out with rubbish! lol Im no mechanic, but I do have a rough idea what im talking about and hate it when people try to fob u off with rubbish which just isnt true, like the time a guy told me an Mi'd 205 was 'much slower cos of the added weight' then a normal 1.9, he just wouldnt believe he was completely and utterly wrong! lol

Anyway Ive got a downpipe to fit :(

Cheers for the info guys!

Edd

ablister
The guy started going on about how the DVLA will need to do a full MOT check on it themselves at the nearest test centre, and how the brakes would need upgrading to fit in with the 'bhp to brake' ratio (news to me?!)

An engineers report is pretty much a power to brake efficiency test but is something an insurance company may ask for and not really the mot tester

Baz

MOT testers are not mechanics/technicians, and this one just sounds like he talks out of his ar$e, what a load of crap!! Some are a law to themselves i find, spieling crap like you cant skim brake discs and because a cracked rear light has some tape over it so shows no white light, its a fail, because the other side must be the same! WTF! :S Really annoys me.

Anyhow, just go to your next nearest MOT place, dont tell them anything they don't need to know, and you'll be fine. :(

Edited by BazGTMi

Alastairh

bull s*it, book it somewhere else.

Rom
MOT testers are not mechanics/technicians, and this one just sounds like he talks out of his ar$e, what a load of crap!! Some are a law to themselves i find, spieling crap like you cant skim brake discs and because a cracked rear light has some tape over it so shows no white light, its a fail, because the other side must be the same! WTF! :S Really annoys me.

Anyhow, just go to your next nearest MOT place, dont tell them anything they don't need to know, and you'll be fine. :lol:

Unless they changed it lately, you need 5 years experiance as a mechanic before your allowed to sit your testers exam.

Though clearly this tester is off the mark. SVA tests are only for build vehicles, some imports have to have them, some insurance write offs etc. Not normally for an engine swap.

Edd..my place can mot it for ya, were in Bexhill. Drop me a pm if you like. We mot all kinds of stuff, track prepped Lotus Cortina, 1906 Pug something or other.

Anthony

As said, find another test center as they're hardly exactly scarce. Oh, and there's no need to mention anything about the car being modified btw - just drop it in, ask for them to test it.

Guest BrainFluid

Exactly, book it in somewhere else.

I have heard rumors that some mot testers get given money for grassing on folk who have a non standard engine in a car they see.....No idea if thats tru though.

Isnt there someone on here who could point you in the direction of a sound Mot station near you?

Sign in to follow this