• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

I Wanna Be High But To Have Hard Suspension Too.

foreigner

I am not sure if it make sense.

I want to big on the same height or maybe higher but at the same time I want to use shorter spring with harder shocks and big wheels.

In other worlds I dont want to be sitting too low I wanna see far.

Is this possible???????

maturin23

I'm not sure if that makes sense either...

Hilgie

So your want the ride to be high (to accomodate big wheels) but have rock solid damping as well?

No problem...use original Peugeot springs with sportdampers (e.g Bilstein)

veloce200

you can't increase the rolling radius of the wheel/tyre by more than 3% by law so you don't need to raise the suspension to fit big wheels you need a lower profile tyre. if you increase the rolling radius it will handle badly, accelerate poorly and they'll be enough clearance to the ground to go off roading

foreigner
you can't increase the rolling radius of the wheel/tyre by more than 3% by law so you don't need to raise the suspension to fit big wheels you need a lower profile tyre. if you increase the rolling radius it will handle badly, accelerate poorly and they'll be enough clearance to the ground to go off roading

Ok so if use the same size wheels. But still want to be higher. S oif I just lift using some sort of spacers for dampers and springs would it be ok.

I got 185/60/14 on the car now but I have spare 195/45/15 so by what you saying I cant use them. Or can I?

Edited by foreigner

welshpug

err, WHY?????

oh, and 195 45 15 is a smaller diameter than the 185 60 14's :lol:

foreigner
err, WHY?????

oh, and 195 45 15 is a smaller diameter than the 185 60 14's :lol:

EXPLAIN PLEASE.

I'M BIT SLOW THESE DAYS (FLU FOR A CHANGE)

welshpug

circumference for 185 60 14 is 71.4 inches,

circumference for 195 45 15 is 68.8 inches,

so your speedo will be reading 60mph while you are actually doing 57.8mph or 3.7%.

195 is the width, 45 is the proifile of the sidewall as a percentage of 195, which is 3.5 inches.

foreigner
err, WHY?????

oh, and 195 45 15 is a smaller diameter than the 185 60 14's :huh:

I probably haven't explained what i wanted to do properly.

So I want to keep the hard suspension as little rolling as possible and also be higher than normal suspension.

- that's why I said about those spacers. To use shorter springs and dampers to have it harder and less rolling and to have spacers to keep it high.

- I am absolute newbie in this kind of stuff so really any help accepted

- I hope it makes sense

- I think the car will look awesome like this. (MAYBE I GO OFF ROADING IN IT)

Edited by foreigner

maturin23

What car are you planning on doing this to?

If it's a 205 GTI you are off your rocker matey. The fundamental point of these cars is how fun they are to drive - the particular combination of grip, handling and control feedback results in an exploitable and rewarding drive. Not the fastest, but maybe the fun-est :huh: It's because of this fun that we put up with all the grief these cars can throw our way,

What you plan on doing will totally ruin the driving experience for purely cosmetic purposes.

It you want a bloody Bigfoot why not just get a more modern Corsa or something and ruin that instead?

Rippthrough

The other thing is how the hell do you intend to sort out the damping?

You'd need bespoke shocks with more travel made up as otherwise you'll be topping out all four pistons permenently.

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

GLPoomobile
What car are you planning on doing this to?

If it's a 205 GTI you are off your rocker matey. The fundamental point of these cars is how fun they are to drive - the particular combination of grip, handling and control feedback results in an exploitable and rewarding drive. Not the fastest, but maybe the fun-est ;) It's because of this fun that we put up with all the grief these cars can throw our way,

What you plan on doing will totally ruin the driving experience for purely cosmetic purposes.

It you want a bloody Bigfoot why not just get a more modern Corsa or something and ruin that instead?

Yeah, what he said!

I think you have the wrong car. Have you considered buying an SUV? You'll probably find some cheap ones around West London soon, thanks to Red Ken!

foreigner

thanx for the replies.

It's not question of looks.

I just had that idea and wanted to know if is it possible.

I don't want suv if i wanted one i would get it.

So anyone at all can tell me if is it possible?

Rippthrough

Yes, with bespoke springs, dampers, uprated torsion bars and possibly custom wishbones because the balljoint may not have enough travel.

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

Craigb

Surely the question is how much higher?

foreigner

I think 3 inches from standard height should be enough including tyres so I really think 2 inches for suspension.

do i still need special wishbone?

Rippthrough
I think 3 inches from standard height should be enough including tyres so I really think 2 inches for suspension.

do i still need special wishbone?

Might get away with wishbone if you're lucky, but you're still going to need bespoke springs and dampers + uprated torsion bars.

-Phillip

GLPoomobile

3 inches higher than standard? On a 205 GTi yeah?

Look, I know you came on here for help and I'm being counter productive but this is just getting silly now. Are you trying to build a 205 off roader or something? If so then I really think this is the wrong place to be asking.

I'm all for unusual projects and all that, but all you have told us is that you want to make your car sit 3 inches higher, and you mentioned having better visability through sitting higher. It just all sounds very odd.

jackherer
:P:D

post-3-1163689362.jpg

veloce200

bump ^ this pic is :D

welshpug

I think the question would be WHY? :D

205's are low, and thats it!!!! they were designed like that for a reason :D if you want to be higher buy a newer car, or a van :P

nick

This obviously a wind up.

Is that you Chip...?

Nick

boldy205

you want be be higher up? sit on a booster seat! job done and saved yourself a few hundred quid!! <_<

Sign in to follow this