• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim205GTI

Door Speakers

jim205GTI

As per title and description really bro wants upgrade on his door speakers but once the grille had been removed i discover that holding the speakers was these things.... they were were round like a screw but instead of having a place for the driver attachment it was a hole.............any ideas on removing them without damaging the panel :( try and post pic up later

Phil H

sounds like they're rivetted !

hengti

yep - sounds weird.

they should be 'torx/stardrive' bits

maybe someone has pop rivetted them in as suggested - ? (shonky!)

- drill them out? pop rivetts are very soft

Ren

Yep they will be rivetted, most new cars are now for some strange reason. As said, drill them out, carefully.

hengti

ah!

i have just twigged that we're not dealing with a 205! (things were a little blurry at the time..)

didn't realise that modern cars were rivetted together - seems rather impractical to be rivetting things like speakers in

jim205GTI

rivets that was it! i was trying to think of the name of them for ages!!! oh what a fun day i got ahead on saturday now...... :)

Paintguy
didn't realise that modern cars were riveted together - seems rather impractical to be riveting things like speakers in

It's getting more and more common, much to my dismay :D

More common on French cars than anything else, and I guess it's to cut down production times - it's much quicker to pop in a rivet than turn a screw. Everything from door handles, speakers, window motors and mechanisms all get the rivet treatment.

Saxo door handles are the worst. They're held in by 2 large rivets, in an almost inaccessible place. I've damaged many a freshly painted door whilst refitting them :lol:

GazRallye

Another reason as to why modern cars are s*it, no character and designed to be pretty much disposable, so if something fails its a pain in the arse to repair

Sign in to follow this