• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanS1982

Aftermarket Stereos

DanS1982

I've been struggling to get an Alpine headunit/stereo out of my car today. Having never installed one I have no idea how they go in. I've removed as much as the dash as possible but still cant see what stopping the stereo from pushing out fowards (I assume thats how they come out?)

Any help / advice greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Dan

DrSarty

Without knowing which Alpine model no. you have fitted I can't give you a definitive answer. However having installed and removed (legally) many head units, including Alpine, I would recommend the following:

1) If you're local to High Wycombe I'll do it for you

2) If you remove the faceplate (as you no doubt already have), and the clip on surround, you'll either see:

- 2 pins (one either side) to just lift with a small screwdriver, one at a time and then withdrawing the head unit a little in towards you before doing the other side

OR

- 2 slots, usually vertical about 5-6mm x 1mm which you need 'keys' for, and these come from Halfrauds for about £3 - keys go in, click and you withdraw the unit

3) If however you've managed to achieve the above but it still won't come out, then either the collection of wires at the rear have got stuck (usually a matchbox sized fuse holder does this) OR someone's used a central bracket at the rear which has one bolt going into the mid point on the rear of the unit.

You're doing all the right things but if you lose your rag with it and yank it you could mess up no end of things - the unit's plugs, the dash etc. If/when you do get it out it's likely that your replacement unit will have its own 'cage' (metal frame) so you'll have to straighten out the tabs to remove the old/current one. The latter could also be the fix for your whole issue, but you can't get to these tabs (usually) with the head unit still fitted.

Best of luck - if your efforts fail, stay calm and expect to pay a proper car hi-fi place £20-25 to do it for you.

DrS :(

PS: I was born in Dunstable and that's not how you spell it

Edited by DrSarty

DanS1982
Without knowing which Alpine model no. you have fitted I can't give you a definitive answer. However having installed and removed (legally) many head units, including Alpine, I would recommend the following:

1) If you're local to High Wycombe I'll do it for you

2) If you remove the faceplate (as you no doubt already have), and the clip on surround, you'll either see:

- 2 pins (one either side) to just lift with a small screwdriver, one at a time and then withdrawing the head unit a little in towards you before doing the other side

OR

- 2 slots, usually vertical about 5-6mm x 1mm which you need 'keys' for, and these come from Halfrauds for about £3 - keys go in, click and you withdraw the unit

3) If however you've managed to achieve the above but it still won't come out, then either the collection of wires at the rear have got stuck (usually a matchbox sized fuse holder does this) OR someone's used a central bracket at the rear which has one bolt going into the mid point on the rear of the unit.

You're doing all the right things but if you lose your rag with it and yank it you could mess up no end of things - the unit's plugs, the dash etc. If/when you do get it out it's likely that your replacement unit will have its own 'cage' (metal frame) so you'll have to straighten out the tabs to remove the old/current one. The latter could also be the fix for your whole issue, but you can't get to these tabs (usually) with the head unit still fitted.

Best of luck - if your efforts fail, stay calm and expect to pay a proper car hi-fi place £20-25 to do it for you.

DrS :(

PS: I was born in Dunstable and that's not how you spell it

Thanks very much, I'll have another go at it tomorrow!

ps. yes I signed up in a rush! I shall go change it now lol.

Dan

damien

you should be able to get a Alpine h/u removal tool/key from your local halfords

DanS1982
you should be able to get a Alpine h/u removal tool/key from your local halfords

Found the removal key, and after a bit of pushing and pulling I finally got it out! thanks guys :)

Sign in to follow this