• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smighall

Mot Emissions With Engine Transplant

smighall

Hi all,

Does anybody know the rules when it come to getting an MOT for a 205 with a different engine. I mean the gti6 engine was designed to have a cat, but my 205 wasn't? Does that mean when/if i get mine MOT'd i'd need to put a cat on it to pass the emissions, or do they go on the emissions from the original engine?

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Cheers

Sean

Pugnut

iirc vehicles registered after 1993 (k/l reg) need catalytic convertors . So no matter what engine you put in it wont need a cat if its pre 93' but it will still need to pass the regular emmisions test .

inferno

if the cars fitted with a cat they will do a cat test regardless. if not it will be tested to non cat limits so should fly through.

Baz

Yep as said, should be fine, goes on year of car not engine.

Ryan

It goes by whichever is the oldest out of the car OR engine. So as long as either the car or the engine was built before the cutoff date then you will not need a cat.

You can put a new engine in an older car, or an older engine in a new car and either way the car would be tested according to the older rules.

Dixon

As said really, if your car is pre 93 then you've not got a problem.

Mine's an '89 with '97 gti6 engine as was done on the data for the 1989 205 so flew through easily :)

Edp

I've got a 1993 205 which is having a GTi6 2000 engine. Thats a definate cat then :(

Daxed

Nothing a spot of jiggery pokery with reg documents wouldn't solve. It is pretty easy to get confused when you break 2 or 3 rough ones to re-assemble one good one with a GTI-6 up front.

Garry

Just thought I would add that when you may be borderline with your emissions when running a 6 lump without a CAT, the CO value on mine was 4% the limit on a pre cat car is 3.5%. I have read several similar stories on the gti6 forum. Luckily the MOT guy passed it as he knew it was mainly a track car.

mbayley77

Didnt think they had any choice in passing or failing on emissions now as its all linked into the central database?

I think i am right in saying though that if your car passes the fast idle test easily then the computer takes that as being the end of the emission test anyways!

ada205
Didnt think they had any choice in passing or failing on emissions now as its all linked into the central database?

Depends how well you know the tester, and if the car with the pipe up it's exhaust is the same car that's in for it's mot :)

doughboy

MOT man told me the age of the engine isn't important, it's the car that counts.

Also, they didn't put my G reg beemer on the emmissions test, but did for the P plate clio...wierd.(just as well, I sure the bm wouldn't have passed...lol)

Baz
goes on year of car not engine.

It goes by whichever is the oldest out of the car OR engine.

yes, sorry should've been more clear, in this case goes on car age not engine. :(

Sign in to follow this