• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ren

Mi16 Flywheel Locking Tool

Ren

Hi, I am going to be changing my cambelt shortly and after doing a search I came across this topic

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=59701&hl=

in which Pugtorque has put a link to a flywheel locking tool, unfortunatelt the link no longer works so can anyone confirm if this is the right part?

th212440573VS1283.jpg

Cheers, Ren.

Edited by Ren

jim21070

Pop the car into fifth gear and have a pal stand on the brakes (assuming clutch and brakes are good!)...

Saves the use of something like this. The item is undoubtably good but it can only be used with the gearbox off so great when working on an engine out of the car but not so useful for a routine cambelt change.

Ren

I thought that you just removed the plate off the bottom of the box and it bolted on there?

Guest rick03054
I thought that you just removed the plate off the bottom of the box and it bolted on there?

Yeah, that's how it works. Far better than trying to jam it with a screwdriver too!

ablister
Pop the car into fifth gear and have a pal stand on the brakes (assuming clutch and brakes are good!)...

Saves the use of something like this. The item is undoubtably good but it can only be used with the gearbox off so great when working on an engine out of the car but not so useful for a routine cambelt change.

:(:D

you don't really need the flywheel locking tool, the proper pin through the crank pulley is fine. The flywheel locking tool is only really needed when the crank pulley is removed in the off chance that the crank will move but it never does.

jim21070

Bolt it to what exactly? Surely not the little M8 threads that hold the plate on? It would strip them in no time. I cannot think of a big thread in that area that would take the load.

Agreed it's better than a screwdriver though Rick...

welshpug

M8 little :( it's only holding it in place, there wont be any force going through it! oh, and its M6 BTW :D

I just use the locking rod that came in my franklin toolkit, though of course its not meant to be in there if you want to loosen anything!

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham

Thats the right one, same as 8v.

It doesn't do much but makes undoing the crankshaft pulley bolt loads easier & a one man job. Saves cracking the tab off the block end plate when it does move & you've locked it with a bolt.

That is a Franklin lock iirc.

Graham.

jim21070
you don't really need the flywheel locking tool, the proper pin through the crank pulley is fine.

A good way of snapping off the aluminium webs behind the timing hole when trying to remove the crank pulley bolt. I have seen it happen :(

The flywheel locking tool is only really needed when the crank pulley is removed in the off chance that the crank will move but it never does.

Now that is a good use for it. XUD cranks DO move if you don't lock them and I'd not take the chance that a petrol XU crank won't move either.

ablister
A good way of snapping off the aluminium webs behind the timing hole when trying to remove the crank pulley bolt. I have seen it happen :(

Now that is a good use for it. XUD cranks DO move if you don't lock them and I'd not take the chance that a petrol XU crank won't move either.

The tools aren't designed to stop the engine turning whilst you try to undo the 22mm crank pulley bolt, they are designed to stop the engine moving when removing/installing the timing belt...

I've never done an XUD engine without the flywheel locked but then i wouldn't try to use the locking pin to jam the engine to remove the crank bolt either

Sign in to follow this