• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Weight Loss Items?

Richie-Van-GTi

I want to put the old girl on a diet, the 205 as well :angry:

So what panels can be had in fibreglass and where from? I cant afford CF as Im a scruffy student :rolleyes:

Also I plan on relocating battery to the rear, any advice on this.I know its the wrong forum but better one thread than 2 :lol:

Jonmurgie

Try some searches... plenty of threads about both of these questions :rolleyes:

Batfink

i've got a fibreglass/kevlar door I dont think i will be needing...

Edited by Batfink

smighall
i've got a fibreglass/kevlar door I dont think i will be needing...

Interesting.....how much lighter is this to a normal door with the internals all cut out?

And how much would you be wanting :lol:

hodgy

my pro comp bonnet weighs nothing thats a big weight saver and take every lil bit of plastic out as that is free which is the best kind of mod :D

AJC

every 5kg rmoved gains 1hpp

remove spare, back seats, carpet, sound deeadenning,

just got to town on it

easypug

Care to explain... :)

bren_1.3

remove spare, back seats, carpet, sound deeadenning,

just got to town on it

LMAO, dont you mean 0.1 of a second?

johnrobertgordon

No he means BHP. Loosing weight gains you bhp on the power/weight ratio.

bren_1.3

i fail to see how losing weight adds horsepower to the engine. losing weight makes the car quicker, but it doesnt add horsepower or are we talking metaphorical horsepower?

i wouldnt be adding power to the power to weight ratio if i lost 100kg's would i? id be subtracting weight from the power to weight ratio. the power stays the same but the weight goes down, resulting in a higher bhp / weight ratio. the end result means the same thing though.

the statement and you analagy is incorrect.

are you saying the resultant weight loss is the metaphorical equivalant to 1bhp?

durhhh

and whats your useful point may i ask?

Edited by brens_1.9_wide_arch

PUGugly
I want to put the old girl on a diet, the 205 as well :ph34r:

So what panels can be had in fibreglass and where from? I cant afford CF as Im a scruffy student :)

Also I plan on relocating battery to the rear, any advice on this.I know its the wrong forum but better one thread than 2 :D

Seen F/G panels on e-bay, off top of my head pair wings was about 200 notes. can't remember how much for the bonnet and boot. They in a e-shop if i remember right.

Relocating Batt to the rear helps distribute weight a bit better. I would advise using a battery box from Rally Des or Demon T's. Most rally cars have spare tyers mounted in the boot so the best bet is behind passenger seat (more likely to be empty when driving than the drivers one so better weight distribution!!) the lower the weight in the car the lower the center of gravity and the better the handeling. Going to need some long, heavy duty cable though (more weight put into the car!!).

Perspex windows will lighten it up a bit (mine came from a loading bay behing TCR whilst delivering!). Just cut em out and rivet / bolt em in. Silicone sealer is a good bet for rear 1/4's to stop leaks!!

Don't really need rear window wiper, or motor etc!

Otherwise drill, cut and grind anything you don't need! Just make sure you don't need it first!!!

Oh yeah, no good shaving ounces off your car if you drink ten pints a night and live on kebabs, its easier to lose a stone of your excess weight than lose it off your car, well so the missus keeps saying!!! ^_^

johnrobertgordon
ithe statement and you analagy is incorrect.

are you saying the resultant weight loss is the metaphorical equivalant to 1bhp?

Metaphorical yes. You are indeed correct its impossible to gain actual engine horsepower thru weight loss. But ever 5kg lost is the equivelent of gaining 1bhp

smckeown

weight loss not only effects performance but more importantly handling.

Guest 205 newbie

found this company in retro cars www.shenpar.com have tailgate and bonnet listed at about £75-80 each. not to sure of the quality though?

PUGugly
Metaphorical yes. You are indeed correct its impossible to gain actual engine horsepower thru weight loss. But ever 5kg lost is the equivelent of gaining 1bhp

I heard this once, relating to a VW Golf GTi 'every 25 kilos lost is the equivelent of gaining 10bhp at the wheels' how true i do not know! PPC mag did a feature IIRC with a 1.6 205 where they stripped weight out bit at a time and timed the diff down i think 1/4 mile, will have a dig through old back copys tonight.

found this company in retro cars www.shenpar.com have tailgate and bonnet listed at about £75-80 each. not to sure of the quality though?

Shenpar IMO are excellent. Not tryed their panels but have had other bits off them, they also willing to give good advice and spend time with customers making sure you get what you want and understand everything. I got some of their excellent solid rear beam/axle mounts on e-bay at the mo if anyones interested.....

oh and don't forget Shenpar don't normally include the VAT in the price so 75-80 for the panels is prob + vat, worth bearing in mind!

Edited by PUGugly

smighall

We get a club discount from them too :huh:

Sign in to follow this