• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rick03054

Split Breather Pipes

Guest rick03054

This is just not fair! Or really ironic, depends on how you want to look at it :lol:

I've had a slight oil leak for a while but nothing substantial and I thought it was coming from the oil cooler pipes, I planned to just take it off since winters coming and I never relly get the oil temp up much anyway.

But last night I noticed there was oil on the head and a bit of spatter on the leads, problem coming....

So I had a bit of a poke today and the hose going from next to the oil filter to the filler has split (number 4 on this diagram), and me pulling it out made it worse :angry: I then noticed steam coming from the metal coolant pipe on the inner wing, I think I may have caught that one just in time! It's not actually leaking, I'm going to have a better look at it later on to be sure it's steam coming out of it and not just off it.

Now here's the ironic part, I have 2 gtis sitting at my mums that I could plunder for parts, AND I just bought two big boxes of pipes from jonmurgie, BUT... I'm in Aberdeen and all that stuff's in Fife, 100 miles away! :(:(

If it comes to it I was thinking about going down this weekend, so I could just get the bus and pick the pipes up. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to get a new metal pipe, it's been on my to do list for a couple of weeks now after I saw it looked a bit corroded, but I'm a bit skint at the moment and had planned on saving up for a set of the breather pipes Miles will hopefully be getting, so definitely don't want to buy a new breather pipe from pug.

Is it possible to bodge this temporarily? Is there a cheap generic pipe I could get from halfords that would do the job? Or possibly even rob a pipe from the scrappy (although theres no XU engined cars in the local one obviously :rolleyes: ) Looking at it I don't think I could tape it up, it's split across the pipe and is a bit deformed.

Anyone got any ideas or am I screwed for a car this week :huh:

welshpug

the metal pipe is £9.50 from GSF :rolleyes:

Guest rick03054

It's only £13 from peugeot, and it's in stock. If I can get a lift I'm going to to get one now. Or if I can bodge the breather pipe I'll go myself!

Guest rick03054

Well, panic over I think. I can still get to work!

I did manage to tape the breather, there was about 5mm left unsplit so I cleaned it up and put a whole roll of insutating tape round it. It's a bit wobbly but should hold it untill I get another one, I really didn't think I'd manage that, I feel a bit silly for posting this now :rolleyes:

And I went to pug and got a new metal pipe so I'll be fitting that tonight, it just has to hold the 10 miles or so to my mates where I can work on it. Couldn't believe they had one in stock, that's a first for me :angry:

ablister
And I went to pug and got a new metal pipe so I'll be fitting that tonight, it just has to hold the 10 miles or so to my mates where I can work on it. Couldn't believe they had one in stock, that's a first for me :angry:

it certainly wouldn't have been kirkcaldy peugeot you got the pipe from then as they have fcuk all in stock :rolleyes::lol:

Guest rick03054
it certainly wouldn't have been kirkcaldy peugeot you got the pipe from then as they have fcuk all in stock ;):D

I know, that's my usual port of call. Never had a single thing in stock :D I almost didn't believe the guy, was half expecting him to hand me something completely different for a 307.

But it's done now, and not a moment too soon. I got the wheel off and said to my mate 'look theres water weeping out of - o f**k, my finger went right through it!'

Lucky isn't the word! :lol:

Sign in to follow this