• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Removing Track Rod Ends

Mike Walker

I've currently got my hubs off the car and am looking to replace one of the track rod ends as the balljoint is shot. It looks like a bolt that just screws in and gets fixed with the locking nut. If this is the case are there any tricks of getting the old one out as the track rod just turns with it.

Is it just a case of mole grips on track rod and another on end and tuuuuuuurrrrrn?

smighall

Near the back of the track rod are a couple of flats that you can get a spanner on (17mm IIRC) hold that in place and crack the lock nut off.

Once the lock nut is off, count how many turns it takes to tak off the TRE. Then when you put the new one on screw it in the same amount of turns. That way the tracking won't be too bad to be able to drive it to get it set up 100%.

sonofsam

As above, however it is much easier to crack the lock nut undone with it in place on the hub.Just for future reference:)

Mike Walker

Cool, cheers guys :)

welshpug

one tip, dont count the turns rather count the threads visible, I've known the length of the rods to vary!

hengti

easiest way is probably just to make sure you don't disturb the lock nut too much on the TRE as you unscrew it from the rack.

then you can compare the old and new TREs on the bench and spin the new lock nut up the new TRE so that it's going to give you roughly the same position. don't forget that you're comparing the position of the lock nut in relation to the (straightened) balljoint pin - not its position along the thread.

Sign in to follow this