• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saner

New To Pug's, Lost On Track Fixer-upper

Guest Saner

Hi, Recently got a D Reg 1.6 GTi of a mate that was heading for the crusher. Figured I could make a track car out of it!

Unfortunatly it needs more work than i thought :)

Now I've searched the forums for most of this stuff and not really understood what i'm reading, So thought i'd list it all here. First off how can I find out what engine and gearbox I have, The car came with no paperwork whatsoever and the Haynes is not helping either.

Needs a full service which I can do no proplems, cambelt isn't too hard is it?

The oil filler has been butcherd over time and there are pipes just hanging around and I have no idea what they are to order replacements and also.. where they go :S I've looked at pics of engine bays but not been too sucessfull. Is there anyone in the south taht has a 1.6 I can look at?

Also for some reason the fuel pump wont turn on at startup, but the relay is fine, i've had to buy pass if for the time being with a switch. A diagram of fuses and relays would be great!

The sterring is also lumpy, but i think taht is due to old bushes so will will replace them.

But, my biggest worry, is that the gearbox oil is pooling ontop of the inner gaiter in the car, the shifetr itself is very loose but, once you've floped it around to find a gear its fine, pulls very well.. cept the clutch slips.. which is another job..

So got my work cut out for me but stumped atm as I don't know what i've got! Any garages on tyhe south that can be recomended?

Thanks for any help

Saner

pug309twin40s

Hi, Recently got a D Reg 1.6 GTi of a mate that was heading for the crusher. Figured I could make a track car out of it!

Unfortunatly it needs more work than i thought

Now I've searched the forums for most of this stuff and not really understood what i'm reading, So thought i'd list it all here. First off how can I find out what engine and gearbox I have, The car came with no paperwork whatsoever and the Haynes is not helping either.

- -first have a look at what colour injectors you have and if theres a spacer between sump and block. what type of dizzy cap does it have> clip on or screw on?

Needs a full service which I can do no proplems, cambelt isn't too hard is it?

- -cambelt easy to do. bout 1hrs job at most for first time.

The oil filler has been butcherd over time and there are pipes just hanging around and I have no idea what they are to order replacements and also.. where they go :S I've looked at pics of engine bays but not been too sucessfull. Is there anyone in the south taht has a 1.6 I can look at?

- -get some pics of the loose pipes then we can tell you where the pipes go.

Also for some reason the fuel pump wont turn on at startup, but the relay is fine, i've had to buy pass if for the time being with a switch. A diagram of fuses and relays would be great!

-- fuse 14 i think in fuse box if for the fuel pump and tachemetric relay controls the fuel pump - found in a black box on inner wing by the battery.

The sterring is also lumpy, but i think taht is due to old bushes so will will replace them.

- - how you mean the steering feels lumpy? does it wonder and pull to the sides etc?

But, my biggest worry, is that the gearbox oil is pooling ontop of the inner gaiter in the car, the shifetr itself is very loose but, once you've floped it around to find a gear its fine, pulls very well.. cept the clutch slips.. which is another job..

- - new driveshafts seals in the diff should cure that problem. Check the gear linkages as these wear and go loose and check the bolt isnt loose on the subframe for the gear linkage arm.

So got my work cut out for me but stumped atm as I don't know what i've got! Any garages on tyhe south that can be recomended?

Thanks for any help

Saner

Edited by pug309twin40s

Grim.Badger

iirc D reg should have a BE1 gearbox (reverse is next to 1st gear)

1.9 engine will have blue injectors and a sump sump spacer, 1.6 will have yellow injectors and no spacer. There's other ways of checking but these are the most obvious.

This site is useful for parts and has exploded diagrams http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/; you should hopefully be able to work out the pipes from it.

jackherer
1.9 engine will have blue injectors and a sump sump spacer, 1.6 will have yellow injectors and no spacer.

other way round, blue injectors on a 1.6 and yellow on a 1.9

Grim.Badger
other way round, blue injectors on a 1.6 and yellow on a 1.9

oops :) Thought it was that way around but managed to convince myself I was wrong :)

Guest Saner

Thanks for the quick replys, am at work atm so will get some better pics tomorrow, I have the lift up reverse so does that mean I have a BE1? untill then:

This is the engine bay:

DSC00009.jpg

You can see the oil filler and just above it a piece of hose pipe:

DSC00010.jpg

That hose pipe is taped with electrical tape onto this black pipe (dead center of pic) that is under the inlet mainfold:(sorry abot angel of picture)

DSC00012.jpg

smighall

Lift up reverse means the gearbox is a BE1.

Miles

It's a 1.6 unless some ones messed around with the internal's, The pipe looks like it should go onto the side of the oil filler tower (Side of inlet manifold)

Guest Saner

Excellent, So

Gearbox is BE1

Engine is XU????

And there should be 3 pipes going into the oil filler tower?

Grim.Badger
And there should be 3 pipes going into the oil filler tower?

No 4. One underneath, one on the side and two on the top.

I'm fairly certain with yours being a later 1986 car the engine is the wider valved XU5JA, but I'm not too certain on when the crossover happened so it could be the earlier XU5J engine.

Guest rick03054
This diagram should help with the breather piping :rolleyes: Edited by rick03054

Guest Saner

:S Sorry! I swear that the person who had it before you mentioned it going to scrappy. If I was wrong then I apoligise!

Oh and thanks for the diagram rick taht is EXACTLY what i needed!

Guest Taylor
:S Sorry! I swear that the person who had it before you mentioned it going to scrappy. If I was wrong then I apoligise!

Oh and thanks for the diagram rick taht is EXACTLY what i needed!

o yeah the old guy was goin to scrap it but i rescued him lol

there was never a chance of it being scraed in my hands had like 4 people after it as you know :)

Sign in to follow this