• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jerseypug

Mi Tappet Noise

jerseypug

I removed the head tonight. I found 2 bent inlet valves in the second cylinder from the cam belt. Exactly as I have been told but I was hoping not to have to remove the head, they only seem slightly bent and the exhaust ones look ok. I am going to change all 4 just in case. I am hoping that the guides will be ok. This has been going on since September and I am hoping to be able to drive it before too long.

welshpug

the guides wont be ok! they're cheap enough too, just think of the hassle and expense if it has to come off again!

dommorton
I removed the head tonight. I found 2 bent inlet valves in the second cylinder from the cam belt. Exactly as I have been told but I was hoping not to have to remove the head, they only seem slightly bent and the exhaust ones look ok. I am going to change all 4 just in case. I am hoping that the guides will be ok. This has been going on since September and I am hoping to be able to drive it before too long.

Ah thought as much.

Glad you tracked the problem down. Double check the new valves are nice and free in the guides as they may too be slightly buggered.

jerseypug

cheers for that. looks like a visit to the machine shop. its taken long enough so another couple of days wont hurt.

migti

just a note on this

how do you check the guides>? or are they best replaced when valves

are bent ect

Cheers

jerseypug

i dont know if its the propper way but i push the valve in the head without the spring on and see if it has any side movement on it.

dommorton

Also run them in gently by hand one by one to check they are nice and free moving with no tight spots.

jerseypug

just put it all back together and is running like a dream. 2 slightly bent inlet valves. i am amazed the compression was still good and it was running fine just making a lot of noise. bent valves was the last thing i expected, i should have taken more notice of what i was told but i really did not want to take the head off again. the pistons did not have any marks on them so i am still not sure what was causing the tapping. thanks for everyones help. well pleased now.

dommorton

Hoorah! really pleased you sorted it B)

The very slightly bent valves only need to be gently kissed by the piston to send them home. That makes the tap but barely touches the piston.

Guest Maikel205

great you solved it!

Have the same work to do, but now I know 100% for sure some valves are bent.

About what you told me, your engine builder was wrong.

Did you need to replace the guides or were they fine?

Edited by Maikel205

jerseypug

the valves wer only slightly bent and the bend was below the guide. i put the new valves in the guides and there were no stiffness or play so i took the chance and left the guides in.

whenever the machine shop get hold of the head it comes back covered in pubic metal and takes half a day to clean out. even then you never know if it is really clean.

good luck doing your engine, dont leave paper toweling in the inlet manifold when you put it all back together like i did as it becomes a pig to start and takes ages to get it out!

tidypug

I'm glad that you've sprted it, TBH i was about to torch the thing when it hppened, so i'm glad you've stuck with it B)

dommorton
it comes back covered in pubic metal

B)

Sign in to follow this