• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SeanT

Mi16 Alternator

Guest SeanT

Hi Guys,

Well the alternator is now shagged, no charge so I need to change it...

Im not the most mechanically minded person so how easy is this job and where is the best place to get a replacement???

Richie-Van-GTi

very easy to replace, just 2 bolts and off it pops, breakers will have suitable replacements, the 306 XU range all fit. Stick a TD one in there, easy to come by so cheap as chips.

Guest SeanT

Cheers Richie, Unfortuanatley the engine is in a 205 so them 2 bolts are not so eaasy to get to, I think its inlet manifold off, possibly rad off to get the inlet off and someones even mentions engine mounts and tilting the engine for more room!!! :):):wacko:

I may just have to [pass this job onto someone who knows what there doing, I dont think my limited tools and knowledge can help...:)

Sean

very easy to replace, just 2 bolts and off it pops, breakers will have suitable replacements, the 306 XU range all fit. Stick a TD one in there, easy to come by so cheap as chips.

Anthony

You don't need to remove the inlet or radiator to change the alternator on an Mi16...

Dream Weaver

It costs about £120 to have it done at a garage (as I stupidly paid someone to do it when I bought the car), so you can save yourself about £90 if you do it yourself.

It can be done as is, but is easier with the inlet manifold off, and if you take the inlet off you can do the starter motor at the same time if that's a bit iffy.

jodycraw
You don't need to remove the inlet or radiator to change the alternator on an Mi16...

How can you manage to get at the alternator without removing the inlet manifold? mine is a full length manifold, and i can hardly get in to undo the alternator bolts, let alone remove and re-fit. I need to adjust mine but can't be arsed to remove all the manifold!?

inferno

(replied to your pm sean)

Very easy job, and i have a small selection of alternators that are good and would be suitable :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this