• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

TU24 Rods Specs

bren_1.3

ok after looking into the peugeot parts catalogue for some 1.3 conrods, im almost 100% certain that it listed the TU1 as sharing the same rods as the the TU24.

maybe my eyesight is failing me i dont know. but after stripping down a TU1 the rods are about the same length as a TU3S. i.e much too long. the only difference being the teeny tiny pistons, as again im certain the TU1 and the TU24 use the same block.

im struggling now to find any TU24 rods from anywhere in standard trim, all the items i own have been modified to accept a floating gudgeon pin and not a standard press fit item. The decision to return to standard pistons is primarily down to cost, and i get nervous when it comes to valve cutouts and clearance issues regarding forged pistons) and i'm at my wits end trying to finish this bottom end in time for the new year.

does anyone have a set they'de be willing to let me have, or can source for me?

or would it be possible to have a custom small end bearing put back into the modified rods to allow me to go back to standard pistons?

thanks in advance a very frustrated brennan

christopher

brennan,

Very strange they are not the same a 1.1

Can you measure the modified ones for me? Not sure if they are an accurate fit to the pistons or not..

Maybe we can do a swop. But not sure when I will find the time to pull the engine apart though:-( Just moving place at the moment

Edited by christopher

bren_1.3

ill PM you the measurements tonight when i get home.

wikipedia states completely different stroke figures for the TU1 and TU24!

christopher
ill PM you the measurements tonight when i get home.

wikipedia states completely different stroke figures for the TU1 and TU24!

The crank is specific TU24 only afaik

Guest Nuno205Rallye

Of course the TU24 rods are different from the TU1 rods... the strokes are different, so, the TU24 rods have to be shorter because you are taking a TU3 stroke to a TU1 block.

TU24 rods are the shortest, 112 mm center to center.

PumaRacing

Don't ask me about engine codes but I roughly measured (to 1mm or so) the rods from the 1360 iron block XSi and the 1294cc ally block Rallye engine some time ago. Centre to centre the 1360 rods are 127mm (I have 126.8mm nominal shown in a data book) and the 1294 rods are 134mm. Big and small ends are the same on both so they would swap between cranks/pistons.

bren_1.3
Of course the TU24 rods are different from the TU1 rods... the strokes are different, so, the TU24 rods have to be shorter because you are taking a TU3 stroke to a TU1 block.

the online peugeot parts catalogue has them down as the same part number, and the engine i stripped was free, so its no big financial outlay, just disappointing really. i no the TU1 and the TU24 share the same block, and they come in handy as spare blocks (not like they get destroyed but all the same they can be useful)

Don't ask me about engine codes but I roughly measured (to 1mm or so) the rods from the 1360 iron block XSi and the 1294cc ally block Rallye engine some time ago. Centre to centre the 1360 rods are 127mm (I have 126.8mm nominal shown in a data book) and the 1294 rods are 134mm. Big and small ends are the same on both so they would swap between cranks/pistons.

your talking about gary muir's XSi engine right? are you referring to the 1294cc engine from a peugeot 106 rallye? i have a feeling there are differences between the 106 rallye engine and the "euro rallye" 205 engine that came equipped with twin weber 40 DCOM's.

im talking about the 205 euro rallye engine. not sure ive made that clear.

is it possible to have custom small ends inserted into a rod? im assuming were not talking mega bucks here. the rods have been machined to accept a larger diameter small end bearing for a larger than standard 'floating' gudgeon pin. they look like bronze phosphor to me, i could be wrong. couldnt be too hard to make up.

Guest Nuno205Rallye

You are right... BUT...

The TU24 engine is different from the "1294" engine that you state, because the 1294cc engine from the 106 Rallye (engine code is TU2J2) has a taller block than the TU24.

Stating that the TU1 block and the TU24 block are the same is also very wrong, they share the same deck height but the TU24 is beefier, especially arround the bottom part of the block (bearing saddles).

PumaRacing
your talking about gary muir's XSi engine right? are you referring to the 1294cc engine from a peugeot 106 rallye?

Yes and yes

i have a feeling there are differences between the 106 rallye engine and the "euro rallye" 205 engine that came equipped with twin weber 40 DCOM's.

I believe so too. I couldn't say what they are.

im talking about the 205 euro rallye engine. not sure ive made that clear.

is it possible to have custom small ends inserted into a rod? im assuming were not talking mega bucks here. the rods have been machined to accept a larger diameter small end bearing for a larger than standard 'floating' gudgeon pin. they look like bronze phosphor to me, i could be wrong. couldnt be too hard to make up.

You can put any size bush you like in there. It obviously has to stay as a floating pin though. You can't press fit a pin into a bronze bush or the bush will just pop out. I'd just find another set of rods.

bren_1.3
You can put any size bush you like in there. It obviously has to stay as a floating pin though. You can't press fit a pin into a bronze bush or the bush will just pop out. I'd just find another set of rods.

high time i visited our european counterparts then. thanks for the advise.

TB_205GTI

Here you go guys:

TU1/TU24 (alloy and TU1 SPI cast iron): 112,3mm

TU1 (cast iron MPI): 125,3mm

TU3 (Alloy and SPI Cast iron): 126,8mm

TU3 (Cast iron MPI): 140,25mm

TU2J2/TU5J2: 133.5mm

Bigend (45,655) and "smallend" (19,463) are the same apart from the TU9 which is 17,939mm

I have collected this info on my page: (you have to register to see the data, it's free and spamfree) http://www.psaforum.dk/psa/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=907

Here is some translations :P

Højde = Height

Krydspindsdiameter = gudgeon pin diameter

krumtapsdiameter = bigend diameter

There are also data for some of the TU pistons there :D

bren_1.3

shizzle, the TU1 i picked up was an alloy block. wasnt aware they did a cast iron TU1.

EDIT: whats SPI? single injection?

Edited by brens_1.9_wide_arch

Sandy
Stating that the TU1 block and the TU24 block are the same is also very wrong, they share the same deck height but the TU24 is beefier, especially arround the bottom part of the block (bearing saddles).

I'm looking at the Peugeot parts CD now and TU9, TU1 and TU24 are listed as the same block part number 0130S8.

Also the TU1 and TU24 are both 060312 rods according to the magic parts catalogue.

I stripped a TU1 earlier for a crank. The guy it's for wanted to source the donor 1.1 himself and he got given two 1.4 bottom ends by scrappys before this one that they swore were 1.1's! So confusion is all around.

I'm not saying the don't exist, but I have no evidence in the Peugeot literature of an iron block 1.1. The later MPi 1.1's are alloy block in all the ones i've seen, but given that the 1.4 internals were altered in size later on (longer rods, shorter pistons), maybe the 1.1's were too. The rods are roughly 115mm in that block, which appears to be 1995 production.

I'm guessing you might want these rods? if so, pay the P&P and they're yours.

TB_205GTI
I'm looking at the Peugeot parts CD now and TU9, TU1 and TU24 are listed as the same block part number 0130S8.

Also the TU1 and TU24 are both 060312 rods according to the magic parts catalogue.

I stripped a TU1 earlier for a crank. The guy it's for wanted to source the donor 1.1 himself and he got given two 1.4 bottom ends by scrappys before this one that they swore were 1.1's! So confusion is all around.

I'm not saying the don't exist, but I have no evidence in the Peugeot literature of an iron block 1.1. The later MPi 1.1's are alloy block in all the ones i've seen, but given that the 1.4 internals were altered in size later on (longer rods, shorter pistons), maybe the 1.1's were too. The rods are roughly 115mm in that block, which appears to be 1995 production.

My mistake - Peugeot list the TU1 with a new and an old model - with the TU3 it's quite easy, as the TU3 was aluminium until fall 92 -a after this they became castiron. All TU1's are aluminium, only 1-4 and up has been made in cast iron. I'll just correct my data.

EDIT: whats SPI? single injection?

SPI: SinglePoint Injection

MPI: Multipoint Injection

:)

bren_1.3
The later MPi 1.1's are alloy block in all the ones i've seen, but given that the 1.4 internals were altered in size later on (longer rods, shorter pistons), maybe the 1.1's were too.

sounds exactly like the 1.1 engine i stripped.

which is what confused me aswell.

ill measure the TU24 rods i have, and let you know. thanks.

TB_205GTI

TU24 rods are 112.3mm :huh:

sorrentoaddict

therefore, the RL/S ratio of the TU24 (205 rallye, twin carbs) is

112.3 / 73.2 = 1,53

while the RL/S ratio of the TU2J2 (the mythic rallye 1,3) is

133.5 / 73.2 = 1,82

which makes perfect sense, since, what with the TU24 being engineered to breathe on twin carbs, the vacuum "signal" (or s.c. "suction impulse") is of

enormous importance, so Peugeot obviously used a "brutally" low RL/S ratio to achieve this (and hence good "response" from the carbs and a very charismatic car).

When they employed MM fuel injection with the later-developed TU2J2 engine, the cancellation of carbs obviously gave them the engineering "comfort" to employ a much more "sportier" RL/S ratio, making this engine much more volumetrically-efficient at higher RPM, with the additional benefits of better reliability, lower piston-skirt friction etc..

Personally I cannot see any other reason for the absurdly low RL/S ratio

employed in the 205 rallye engine (TU24).

Sign in to follow this