• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacey205

Kersploding Distributor Caps

pacey205

So Ive had a good 1000 miles since I last had a problem with my car, time for something else I do believe.

So I'm driving back to my parents place, bumbling along in traffic on a B road at about 60ish when all of a sudden I can hear and feel a misfire. Buggger I think after my problems with a misfire previously, but its different this time, missing all the time but still drives ok (apart from a noticeable lack of power).

So I pull over, pop the bonnet and lo and behold I see an HT lead resting against the strut brace, must of popped off I think. So I put my hand on the rocker cover to put it back on and bam, electric shock goes right up my arm. It was at this point I notice the rather large hole emitting blue sparks in the distributor cap lol :)

pb050231ha9.jpg

pb050237wf2.jpg

So its at this point I ring my old man up to come and give me a tow, luckily he brings my spare distributor with him so I whack that on and drive home.

After a closer inspection there is a bolt missing from the rotor arm. This kinda suggests that the bolt had worked its way loose and either the unbalanced rotor arm had hit one of the contacts or the bolt had come out completely, either of which lead to the large hole in cap syndrome. Needless to say I was not best amused as the cap and arm were only 4K old tops but at least it was an easily fixable problem this time.

Oh and the new rotor arm went back on with threadlock on the bolts ;)

Michael

Edited by pacey205

boombang

When mine exploded it was because the cam was bent :)

If it happens again worry, if not then sorted with the threadlock.

your lucky with that shock from the ht lead mate could have been quite nasty!

Edited by 205007

pacey205
When mine exploded it was because the cam was bent :blink:

If it happens again worry, if not then sorted with the threadlock.

Now youve got me worried :S I will be checking it periodically from now on for a few miles I think.

Michael

boombang

I did two in a very short space of time and decided it couldn't be coincidence.

The 3rd cap went on, notice some slight rub marks from the arm on the metal in the cap but it didn't actually explode.

A short while later the cams were sent to Piper for a re-pro and they rang up to say the inlet was bent and therefore scrap!

Sourced another head and cams and all was good.

Sign in to follow this