• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Speedo Flutter

pugbliss

hi

this problem as been getting worse now for some time now and i think i should do some thing about it.

all i can tell you is between 0-70mph the speedo neddle flutters about so i nerver know the exact speed.

say im doing 70mph the neddle will flutter arond 67-75mph, im thinking it maybe a cable prob but im not too sure.

any help is appriciated

joe

hengti

it's a common problem - they all do it.

there'll be loads of info on the search facility - ;) and :)

basically, the cable is routed very close to the exhaust manifold, which dries out the grease in the cable. it'll be fine if you just renew the cable (£10 and relatively simple to fit), but will start doing it again eventually. i did mine probably six months ago and i reckon it's still more or less ok. only flickers a tiny bit.

M3Evo

Didn't someone spend £90 having a sooper-dooper heat shielded cable made only for it to start waggling again?

pugpete1108
it's a common problem - they all do it.

there'll be loads of info on the search facility - ;) and :)

basically, the cable is routed very close to the exhaust manifold, which dries out the grease in the cable. it'll be fine if you just renew the cable (£10 and relatively simple to fit), but will start doing it again eventually. i did mine probably six months ago and i reckon it's still more or less ok. only flickers a tiny bit.

is that what it is then? i had this on mine and when i looked at my gearbox i found the plastic cog where the cable goes into was all chewed up i have replaced this but as yet i havent had the engine back in to test it .maybe i will ned a new cable then ? i will see.

saveloy

I replaced mine and covered it win thermal heat wrap. Itlasted 10 years like that.

Unfortunately, it's insulate replacement has begun wagging wothin 3 years. Bugger.

mos

its either the plastic speedo gear or the speedo cable.

sometimes its a bit of both so both may well need replacing

the plastic speedo gear is only abou £7 from peugeot and yes its still available

i think a genuine cable is something £20 these days

hope this helps

KRISKARRERA
Didn't someone spend £90 having a sooper-dooper heat shielded cable made only for it to start waggling again?
That'll be Rich E. I think his 205 was broken in to and he sold on before the cable ever got a chance to try to dry out lol.

I reckon they under-read the speed when they dry out and flicker, earlier at 1k rpm in 3rd I was doing 10mph!

pugbliss

is it hard to replace the cable???? i mean where does it go from and to and how the hell do you get to it???

plus is it hard to replace this plastic speedo cog thing???

hengti

don't know about the plastic cog, but cable replacement is fairly straight forward. have a look on search - there's bound to be a run-down of what's involved on one of the threads.

Sign in to follow this