• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

Inner Wing Replacement+headlight Panel

inferno

After taking the headlight out to replace the glass for mot i found my backing panel had dissapeered almost completely into a pile of rust on the floor!

so far ive hammer tuned the bumper till it fell off, and removed the wing rather too easyly from the car, i suspect it had a smash early in the cars life as genuine pug/talbolt panel was fitted, also appears to be a new section of chassis (covered in brown underseal).

now i have a spare new panel for behind the headlight, but the inner wing on the side where the jack bolts in has corroded too... maybe 4 inches from the headlight panel. how much work is the inner wind to replace completely? any pics of the panel? or do they come in patching panels so i just replace a small section? im pretty sure i could plate it up nicely without it, but if the panels are straightforward i might do it properly.

has anyone done any of this kind of repairs? generally i dont do body work... but to keep costs down im going to have to to this one...

welshpug

i'll try and dig some pictures from PSOOC, Tom Fenton over there did exactly this repair a few months ago.

the inner wing is available as a complete panel for £93 from peugeot, but its rather too extensive for the home welder!

inferno

sigh of relief from me... mines nowhere near that bad... so if you can plate it and make it look nice ill do the same ;) does the headlight panel get welded or bonded on the front of that? pics of the full inner wing replacement would be good :D i have the tools and work space for it

Paintguy
does the headlight panel get welded or bonded on the front of that?

Welded.

And personally I would have had it tacked in place before welding in those patch panels - just to ensure everything was aligned properly.

Mine wasn't as bad as the one above, but had a similar patch panel method of repair. Pictures here

welshpug

sounds like a chop out and plate is the way to go, heres a screenpring off the PCD

205innerwingscreenprint.jpg

inferno

where can i get the parts cd?! hmmm yes looks like plateing i think... ill try n grab some close up piccys later.

i need to learn bodywork in general i think, i can weld, but where should i look for a beginers guide to prepping and painting?

welshpug

paintguy's gallery!

dommorton

I've just plated this area on my track car.

Was rotten about 3" back from the front panel under the headlight.

Cut it out square then dropped in a big L shaped plate which sat on top of the inner wing in the engine bay, and then down the back of the front panel to be attached under the wheelarch.

Rough painting makes it look a bit gash in the pics but I can assure you it's a fine and tidy repair up close :ph34r:

205006.jpg

205005.jpg

Sign in to follow this