• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Piston Rings....

matty_gti

hi, ive got my new rings on my 1.9 pistons and i need to know where the gaps in the rings should be on the piston before putting them in the compresser so i can put them into the liners......a picture would be perfect :o

And yes i have searchd but i found nothing... :D

ThAnKs

welshpug

IIRC theres 3 rings yes? so put each one at 120 degrees to the other one.

matty_gti
IIRC theres 3 rings yes? so put each one at 120 degrees to the other one.

Yeah theres 3 rings. Do they have to be in the same position for all 4 piston?s, and can the gaps be anywhere then on the pistons aslong as there 120 degrees from each other?.

welshpug

anywhere as long as they're roughly 120 degrees apart, cant remember where i read it but its basically to make sure that the grooves dont sit directly above each other and cause a wear groove.

jonnie205

its not to do with it waering a grove its to stop gasses leaking through the rings easily and lowering compression

ALEX

There are two different types of oil control ring (i.e. the bottom one)

AFAIK the Standard Peugeot one is made up from a single piece, but I’ve had a few sets that are made up of a corrugated ring sandwiched between two rings, these are a pain to set up as each ring gap has to be spaced the furthest apart from each other. It's not crucial but ideal that you get the gaps furthest away from each other.

The same goes for all the other rings, the gap has to be furthest away from the one below it. Hence 120°.

Edited by ALEX

Sign in to follow this