• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Faz85

Help Fitting Lambda Sensor To Downpipe...

Faz85

Hello All,

I recently took the downpipe off my 92 8v, to have a suitable nut welded into it for the lambda sensor, and marked up where the hole was required etc...and finally put it all back together again today. At first it seemed ok, the lambda sensor wasnt touching the gear linkage but was pretty close, however during the test drive I could really feel the vibration and noise from the lambda sensor resting on top of the left/right gear linkage.

What I would like to know is, rather than remove the downpipe again and have the nut re-welded in the correct position, is there any other way to give the lambda sensor some more clearance from the gear linkages?

I was thinking of using a Dremel Multi on the gear linkage while its on the car, and grind away some of the linkage rod so that there is a nice groove where the probe sits, to give some clearance. Would this be too detrimental to the linkage strength? surely the forces on the gear linkages are quite small anyway arent they?!

Any advice would be a great help

Faraz

sonofsam

Yeh I had this problem when fitting mine.I wouldn't grind away gear linkages personally.Just move the boss further back a bit.Mine is about 3" down the straight length of pipe and doesn't foul on anything.Proper bosses can be bought from demon tweeks btw;)

alternative

I welded my lamda boss on the part of the pipe after the curve where it first becomes parallel with the ground.

sonofsam
post-6977-1162636699_thumb.jpg

Faz85
Yeh I had this problem when fitting mine.I wouldn't grind away gear linkages personally.Just move the boss further back a bit.Mine is about 3" down the straight length of pipe and doesn't foul on anything.Proper bosses can be bought from demon tweeks btw;)

Cheers for the replies guys, I did consider fitting the lambda further down, but i thought it might cause problems because of the lower temperature and gas flow further down the pipe. Presumably you dont have any problems with the K light coming on??

I guess the downpipe will have to come off again, and i'll get a boss welded further back.

Thanks again

sonofsam

K-Light.whats that!! :D Fuelling was spot on though by the Gas analyzer @ the garage for the MOT:D

Alternatively , if you bought the boss kit it comes with a threaded bung, you could use that to plug up your existing nut attachment and use a pukka boss further down:)

On a previous 309 that I stripped that had Cat and Lambda it was about in that position anyway, so should be fine a little further down.You dont want it getting too hot anyway.

Edited by sonofsam

Sign in to follow this