• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bales

Engine Rebuild Choices

bales

Right, I have been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks and I think I have decided to go down the gti-6 route. I still would like to do the turbo route but after thinking about it thoroughly and doing some sums on expected costs the turbo route to do it properly just seems to be a bit too much at the moment. I know I said I had upto £2k to spend but I have decided that I don't want to spend all that on just the engine alone considering I have lots of other bits that I want to do to the car.

I have also I decided I want it as more of a trackday car and I think that N/A characteristics would suit that more. Also the more I read other peoples projects and see all the footage of the trackdays I am still a novice with trackdays i.e had some experience but not with a 205 yet and nothing serious. So there's no point in me having a really fast car if I can't drive it that fast or anywhere near its potential and I would rather learn in something a tad more forgiving (before people say it I don't want to keep my 8v as it is tired and I want something a bit faster for the roads too and the gti-6 upgrade seems cost effective at the moment)

So my plan is to find a decent gti-6 engine, I am unsure though what is the best way to buy an engine as I have never bought one on its own, do people actually buy them off a pallet without hearing them running or is it always best to hear them first and get them out of a breaker?

The rest of my plans include:

Stripping out interior

OMP cage

Seats

1.6 gearbox

strut braces

Bilstein sprintline suspension

Uprated bushes for engine and suspension components

I reckon this lot should come in at around the £2-2.5k mark including engine

Just a couple of quick questions:

1.Is a custom exhaust downpipe required to mate to the gti-6 manifold

2.All this unlocking of ecu's confuses me, I know that if the engine is in the car it can be unlocked but I am not sure how to do this?

3.Can you buy inlet only cams like the mi16 if I fancy an upgrade at a later date

4.What gearboxes to people recommend, my 1.9 would be too long if the engine was revving to over 7k, I was thinking of a 1.6 as it doesnt need to be particularly practical or do long motorway journeys

5.Can the original ecu be remapped at any decent mapper, i.e people mention chipwizards but he seems to be quite expensive looking at other rates, e.g could mikeanics remap the standard magnetti marelli ecu?

Thanks for any help, cheers

Alex

Sign in to follow this